Best Nas For Bittorrent Sync?

Howdy Everyone,

As I'm sure you can tell I'm new to the forums, so if this is in the wrong section I do apologize for that. I've been following BitTorrent Sync throughout the beta. Now that it's out of beta, I plan to implement it at my company. I'm pretty excited.

We currently have a file server running Windows Server 2008 Standard. This host a few different network drives. But there is one main drive that almost every employee needs access to with roughly 1.4 TB of data. Currently employees at other offices have to VPN into our network to access this drive. This can sometimes be slow. My plan is to buy a NAS for these other offices in hopes that it will be almost like each office is reading and writing to a local network drive, rather than one on a different network. Which ideally would greatly speed up the process.

My two questions are,

What NAS should I buy? (I was kind of liking the SnapServer XSR 120 and the Drobo 5N)

and

Am I able to just run a service on our file server? Or will I need to stay constantly logged in?

I appreciate any help, this seems like a great community that I'm excited to become a part of.

Thanks!

Right now, I don't think BitTorrent sync is a good fit for what you want to, although without knowing more about what you're trying to do, it's hard to know. It doesn't support multiple userids, so all changes are made and owned by a single user. And I suspect you'd have serious file locking/synchronization issues. What sort of files would you be sharing, and what are the use cases?

Right now, I don't think BitTorrent sync is a good fit for what you want to, although without knowing more about what you're trying to do, it's hard to know. It doesn't support multiple userids, so all changes are made and owned by a single user. And I suspect you'd have serious file locking/synchronization issues. What sort of files would you be sharing, and what are the use cases?

When you say BitTorrent Sync doesn't support multiple userids are you saying that if another administrator were to log in to our file server that it would interrupt syncing? Even if I stayed logged in? So they would switch users rather than it being me logging out and them loggin in? We're hoping that if we were to for example put a SnapServer XSR 120 at one of our offices it could have the same files on it as our main office. Meaning we would only need two BitTorrent Sync seats, unless we wanted to add more offices of course.

No, I'm saying that, at least on the NASes I have, you can install a single instance of BT Sync, and that install runs as user root.  So it can access all files on the system, but if you write a file on a remote system, it will then be synced to the NAS and written as user root, meaning that, unless you make the NAS world readable and writable, no one will be able to write to the file.  So right now, BT Sync works well enough if you want to use a single NAS as a file distribution system, but as soon as you want to put files onto the NAS from a remote system, you're likely to have problems.  And again, I strongly suspect you'd be opening yourself to all sorts of file locking/coherency issues.  It's not clear to me what happens if two users update a file at the same time, for example.  

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know of anything I can do to achieve this goal? My employees that are VPNing in are having troubles with how slow their access is.

A simple solution for this would be http://i.imgur.com/8KYSsKJ.png which would be your first idea right? But you must ensure:

a) Backups of the synced data (until btsync2 proved to be stable)

B) Ensure propper access rights through SMB/AFS

c) Be prepared for conflicts as there is no locking information transfered