Osx To Win Xp Xattrs Causes Program Freeze

buggyboy

In general I love BTS.

It's served me well for more than a year.

First issue... version 1.3.109 was the latest version to support windows xp, since higher version require IE 9...which cannot be installed on win XP.

I still have xp machines... likely will for many more months, possibly years.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Regardless, my issue is that xattrs have, in the last 6 months or so, killed my sync jobs.

I don't know why it started, but the fact that it used to work and now it doesn't was maddening until I figured out why it would occasionally just lock up.

Now I understand what is going on, but the documentation of BTS is so poor, that I can't figure out how to workaround it.

Here's the issue.

OSX files contain metadata in resource forks.

Some operating systems don't play nice with this metadata.

Example, windows XP running on a fat32 partition....also aparently linux and freebsd.

In my case, some files from osx sync just fine, mp3s, jpegs, even mp4s. However, some files cause the reciving BTS installation to freeze. for example, png files and wav files.

When one of thos files is added to the OSX folder, the XP BTS installation runs up a 50%+ cpu usage, and goes non responsive.

The best info I can find on these forums was a comment by user devonaver saying...

I spent most of last week figuring this out.  It turns out you need to add the streams to .SyncIgnore on the LINUX machines, not just the source Mac.  Specifically, adding:

*com.apple.FinderInfo

*com.apple.ResourceFork

to the .SyncIgnore on every system is what fixed it.  Oh, and you need to restart BTSync on every system as well.

Since I would be plenty happy just to have the xattrs ignored, (even though being synced would be better)

I've added those lines to my .synchignore file on both the OSX machine, and the XP machine.

No help.

I've gone further and added more lines, in various combinations in both the .syncignore file, and also the .synch/ignore file trying to find a way to tell BTS to NOT SYNC XATTRS!!!!!   but nothing fixes the problem.

So, I have a very simple question.

In version 1.3.109, the last version to support windows XP, How can I prevent xattrs from syncing, and the resulting BTS freeze on the reciving XP machine.

Thanks kindly,

Buggy.