Confused By Sync 2.0; Unable To Replicate Functionality From 1.x

Antony

I've used Sync 1.x successfully for a simple sync task.  Following the 2.0 upgrade I'm unable to perform the same task.

The simple task is to sync the public pictures and documents folders on two Windows 8 laptops used interchangeably by my wife and I.  We travel independently a lot.  We appreciate having the latest versions of shared pictures/docs available locally on whichever laptop we're using.

In layman's terms (I admit that's what I am with IT matters), with Sync 1.x the public folders on the two separate laptops were directly linked.  Whatever changes were made to files in the folder of one were mirrored in the equivalent folder of the other.

With Sync 2.0, the architecture seems to have changed, so that changes to files in a sync'd folder in one laptop are mirrored on the other in a new folder: Users>[userrname]>Bittorrent Sync.  I'm unable to link the equivalent folders (i.e., the public pictures/documents folders) of the two laptops directly.  The entire contents of the sync'd folder of the first laptop are downloaded to the new Bittorrent Sync folder on the second laptop, duplicating most of the content already in the equivalent public folder of the second laptop.

So while I can access and amend the public folders of the first laptop via the second, it's through the new 'Bittorrent Sync' folder created on the second laptop, not the equivalent public folders on the second laptop.

How can I manage folders in the 'old' way through Sync 2.0?  (Incidentally, I've tried uninstalling 2.0 and reinstalling 1.4, but 1.4 will no longer run on either laptop, despite the fresh install.)

Help and advice will be most gratefully received.

I would suggest, getting one of your computers complete with all the images you want. That is make it so that either you or your wife's computer has everything in the folder that you would want on both computers. Then disconnect the folders in BT Sync on both computers. Then delete completely the contents of the folder on the computer you didn't make complete. Then reconnect the two folders in BT Sync on both computers, and ensure sync all is checked on both computers clients. 

I think this should accomplish what you are seeking to do. 

2d

Hello Antony...you can do what you're desiring in both Sync 2.0 and 1.4. Are you and your wife's computers using the same identity (Options > My Devices)? If so, this will cause the problem you are describing since the folder will automatically be added in the default folder location.

If not, when another device connects to the folder, an option is presented for where to save the folder. Just choose the folder you would like on the other device (not using the default location). If you're running Sync 2.0 and would like to change the path, one way is to disconnect the folder and then re-connect it using the different path.

If for some reason this does not work and you want to use the pre-2.0 folder architecture in 2.0, you can create a "classic folder" in Sync and use keys to link them (just like in 1.4). http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1901253 

-ErikP

So while I can access and amend the public folders of the first laptop via the second, it's through the new 'Bittorrent Sync' folder created on the second laptop, not the equivalent public folders on the second laptop.

How can I manage folders in the 'old' way through Sync 2.0?  (Incidentally, I've tried uninstalling 2.0 and reinstalling 1.4, but 1.4 will no longer run on either laptop, despite the fresh install.)

Antony, link your computers in 'Disconnected" mode. In this case a folder added to Sync on one laptop, will appear on the other as "disconnected" and you will be able to pick a fancy location for it when connecting. You can see and change the mode in Sync -> cog icon -> My devices. 

As for folders that you already have in Sync, you can just move them in File Explorer. Sync shall adjust the path to it. Please note that it will work only if you move it within one letter drive.