Latest 2.0 Desktop Build - 2.0.105

Hi Folks!

Sync 2.0.105 is available through the official download site and also through auto-update.

Direct Download Links:

List of changes in 2.0.105:
  • Resolved an issue preventing Sync from automatically starting after installing an update
  • Can now share a folder using a link and give the receiver owner permissions
  • Cosmetic enhancements
  • Some core engine improvements
The previous 2.0.x Change log is available through the Help Center.

I have 5 days left on the free trial in 2.0.

I'm really not liking the Private Identity "feature" as it seems to make things more complicated. I have three devices, 2 desktop computers and one Android tablet. I have a couple folders that I share between desktop 1 and desktop 2, a few things shared between all 3 devices, a few things shared between desktop 1 and the tablet, and a few things shared between desktop 2 and the tablet. Sharing absolutely everything and putting it into "/home/username/BitTorrent Sync" doesn't seem to be a very sensible default. With 1.4.x I set up each machine and told it what to share and where.

With 2.0.x I set up each machine and have to immediately stop it from sharing anything, disconnect each folder, re-connect each folder that I want (ignoring the folders that aren't need on that machine) and point it to the actual location where I want it. Then I'm left with a few folders on each machine that are sitting there, disconnected because they're not needed but I have to keep them in the list because when I try to remove them the software tells me "This will delete the folder from everything in the universe" or some nonsense like that. I really can't remove it from one device? I really have to have every folder everywhere or erase it from all existence?

I might end up using 1.4.111 again on my desktops and 1.4.65 on the tablet.

Will they keep getting any kind of updates related to security?

Will they tolerate having 2.0-style folders in the settings file or do I have to start from scratch to go back to 1.4.111?

I might end up using 1.4.111 again on my desktops and 1.4.65 on the tablet.

Similar problem here. BTsync 2 is too complicated and not very flexible. I am now running an 1.4 on all devices, I had to downgrade them. I will take a look at owncloud.

btsync 2 had also the bug then adding a folder with subfolders. A dialog appeared asking if I want to add the subfolders but I couldn't get rid of this message and finally I wasn't able to add this folder.

@trbvm

We do not support MacOS 10.7 any longer, sorry.

@AzimutTheUt

Should be available soon!

@mobilediesel

We are aware of people's feedback about My Devices mesh and are working to make it more convenient. Please note, that you can make your folder "Disconnected" by default, which will give you an option to choose the folder when you connect.

1.4.111 is not capable on working with 2.0 folders. So if you roll back you either have to restore your backed up 1.4 storage folder (its backed up automatically) or setup your folders from scratch. In either case all 2.0 folders will disappear.

Also, no more 1.4 updates are planned.

@DJSilverline

Just rechecked disabling of auto-updates in my lab - the popup stopped to show. Could you plz PM me your settings.dat so I can see what's wrong there?

@trbvm

We do not support MacOS 10.7 any longer, sorry.

because of what silly reason that doesn't apply other then lazyness? I dubt it's a software limitation since you have been supporting it in several versions already.

Edited by trbvm

@mobilediesel - To add to RomanZ's response: you can change the default way Sync treats your folders by going to the My Devices panel and selecting the item for "This device". It sounds like you want the "Disconnected" option for new folders.

Does this address your concern with the default behaviors?

Also, I'm really curious about the folders you don't even want to have available on your devices - can you tell us more about why you don't want to see them on all your devices? We wanted to make sure you're able to easily access all of your data remotely - and since the disconnected folder doesn't take up any space on the drive, we thought it would be a great way to present the remotely available folders. Is there something about that which doesn't work?

Thanks,

Daniel

@mobilediesel - To add to RomanZ's response: you can change the default way Sync treats your folders by going to the My Devices panel and selecting the item for "This device". It sounds like you want the "Disconnected" option for new folders.

Does this address your concern with the default behaviors?

Also, I'm really curious about the folders you don't even want to have available on your devices - can you tell us more about why you don't want to see them on all your devices? We wanted to make sure you're able to easily access all of your data remotely - and since the disconnected folder doesn't take up any space on the drive, we thought it would be a great way to present the remotely available folders. Is there something about that which doesn't work?

Thanks,

Daniel

Keeping folders disconnected as a default could probably work but there doesn't seem to be an option for that on the tablet.

Any file(s) I might need from and of the devices are already shared on all the devices. The things I won't need on certain devices are probably never going to be needed on that device. It's just a bit annoying to see folders listed even if they're not taking up space.

@EntropyEater / Daniel:

Any portable device should not automatically list files that are available.  If I'm crossing borders, or if the device gets stolen, I do NOT want whoever sees the device to see everything.  I use multiple folders for a reason:  Because access needs and device needs are different.  Keeping all shares in one place is *removing* functionality for keeping things separate.

@trbvm

My guess is that 10.7.x support is related to this post:  http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/32178-bt-sync-crashes-immediately-on-upgrade-to-1493/

At least as far as I've been able to use Sync, support for Lion ended with 1.3.x ... any later versions will crash.  Support Identified my crash report as being caused by incompatibilities with older versions of Lion.

@trbvm

There are technical issues with Sync 2.0 running on 10.7. Due to low amount of users we decided to cease support of 10.7 and direct our efforts to make Sync better for more popular OSes.

I would also appreciate more constructive posts without false accusations in future.

@AzimutTheUt

2.0.105 for Synology and other NASes are available now on our Help Center.

Hi, just updated to the new v2.0.105.

Here are my observation:

1) New licensing is too expensive. I don't mind paying.

I have paid for Logmein Cubby p2p sync feature for whole 1 year until BTSync came out, and currently on iCloud subscription too.

But your pricing is way too high.

2) Device management is too complicated, need to be more simplified.

BTsync have lost that easy and simple tagline because of this new update for me.

3) Found that the "Update Key" button in folder preference missing. Now I can't subscribe to other folder.

Is it a bug? or one of the new crippling feature?

Hope that you can get it right again after this. Or might need to skip the Pro version and go to alternatives.

On my 64-bit Windows machines I'm currently running the 32-bit version because that's what gets downloaded by default unless you click the 'View all platforms' link.

When the next version comes out, if I install the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version, will that upgrade cleanly and successfully? Also, will it create a duplicate device like what happens when you uninstall and then reinstall on the same machine?