2.0 Post-Upgrade Issues

piersh

so, i just got prompted to upgrade to 2.0 (from 1.x), and now it's asking me to "link devices".

what am i supposed to do here? I don't want to link any devices - i just want it to do exactly what it was doing before i upgraded.

my choices are these:

1) link a device already running sync 2.0. i don't have any other devices running sync 2.0, so this is out.

2) this is my first sync 2.0 device. this is asking me to create an identity. but i already have an identity, whatever i was using to sync my pre-2.0 devices. why is it asking me this?

3) uninstall

what the actual f? why can't it just cleanly upgrade from 1.x?

I have been using BitTorrent Sync successfully since last year and have recommended it widely as an excellent way of keeping multiple devices up to date.  However, having upgraded to version 2,0 today, my devices are no longer syncing, even though they are linked which is a complete disaster for me.  Can anyone suggest what needs to be done to restore functionality?

Many thanks.

This is probably the best place to start: http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/topics/769733-troubleshooting-2-0/articles

I haven't tried 2.0 yet, so this is just speculation, but my guess is that you'll have better luck completely removing Sync and all related data and doing a clean install of 2.0 on all devices. When I upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4 it was a disaster until I did that.

this isn't so much a request for help. it's more a statement that the upgrade experience is attrociously broken, the messaging is ambiguous at best. really, this isn't a great way to advertise a product you want us to pay for.

I don't work for BitTorrent, so I guess the "you" you're referring to is someone else.

but feel free to send me a link to a useless faq that doesn't address my problem with a version of a product that you have no experience with.

piersh, please be respectful to other forum contributors who are trying to assist you.

As you have posted in the "Sync Troubleshooting" forum, it was generally assumed that you wanted support, and as trevellyan has indicated, a range of help articles and guides on Sync 2.0 are available through the dedicated Sync Help Center.

However, if "this isn't so much a request for help. it's more a statement that the upgrade experience is attrociously broken" - then your comments/feedback would be better placed in the General Discussion forum instead.

I just upgraded to 2.o and bought the Pro licence.  Install on two machine in different geographic location where I want to share about 15 folders (hence the Pro licence).

One site runs Windows Server 2008 R2 - installed and ran fine.  Other site, Windows 7 Pro x64.  Bittorrent Sync 2.0 just hangs in "Not Responding" mode and does nothing.

Not happy.  Please advise.

ps. Do I add the other sit (Win7) as a "device"? or just share folders ala 1.4?  I also noticed the path shown with two "\" ie "F:\\Downloads"...

Edited by GourmetSaint

this isn't so much a request for help. it's more a statement that the upgrade experience is attrociously broken, the messaging is ambiguous at best. really, this isn't a great way to advertise a product you want us to pay for.

That is so true. I would have been tearing my hair out - if I had any. I sync several folders and would have been fine unregistered... but decided to support and buy Pro. But now trying to find my way around is a disaster. Even reporting a bug/problem is a disaster. (I am expected to type over my ID,as it's not possible to copy and paste it.)

I also have a lot of data on two 3 TB drives. Selected folders are synced on both drives, but this looks impossible with Sync 2? Now I also gather I have to relearn everything and especially the difference between disconnected, connected and synced. ANd I shouldn't actually "link" my computers as "my devices" after all. Why is it so complicated?

I see also that there is now a "source" computer. Which is obviously my main one...  but I always try to keep everything in two places. hence the second main machine, If anything happens to the first (source) then the second needs to become the source. I foresee hassles if and when that happens. Or am I overreacting?

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgrade to 2.0 free version, but, somehow, the folder I want to sync between a PC and a Mac got doubled on each machine, i.e. copied to a bittorent folder, which seems unnecessary and takes a lot of discspace.

Furthermore, the sync is now between the bittorrent folder on the PC and the normal standard folder on the Mac, but I would like to sync the two standard folders, without having a dublication in the newly created bittorrent folder. Any idea how I can change the patchnames?