Read/write Sharing Broken

piersh

something's wrong with the read/write permissions in the share dialog.

here's me hovering over the bin folder:
post-20548-0-68443500-1429222462_thumb.p

note that it says 'Read & Write'

and here's the share dialog for that same folder:
post-20548-0-08989000-1429222463_thumb.p

why does it say "You don't have Read & Write access to this folder" ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here – I've not been able to use Sync at all since upgrading to 2.0.

I was syncing between a Linux (Mint) computer and a Windows (7) computer. 

On the Linux machine, I can see 4 peers; hovering over them shows "Read & Write • Classic folder". However, when I select 'Share...' the 'Read & Write' option is greyed out, and hovering shows "You don't have Read & Write access to this folder" (which I certainly do). I have previously (v1.4) been sharing it 'Read & Write', I have never shared it 'Read Only'.

On the Windows machine, I can't see any list of peers at all, I have to enter a link key. However I can't – it rejects even the new 'Read Only' key from the Linux machine...

Sync 2.0 seems far more complex than version 1 (especially with 'identities'), and worse seems completely broken, for me. I hope I don't have to give up on it and go back to Dropbox.

Do you have some instructions for giving up and starting from scratch? The instructions for reverting to 1.4 (on Windows) look horrendous. As far as I can tell I don't want to use identities, I just want to share folders as I did with version 1.

Chris V,

To start from scratch, you need to first uninstall Sync and its settings, here's instruction

Identity - is a new feature for Sync 2.0, as Sync 2.0 uses Public key infrastructure to share the folder. It's more secure .

You just need to create a separate identity for each of your devices (pick This is my first device") and then add and share the folder via links between identities as you used to do in Sync 1.4. 

If the problem remains, the questions for you: was this folder ever added to Sync from any other peer with RO key, and then re-shared with RW ? Or did you initially add the folder on this peer and went to share it right away?

Any details on how you ended up with this folder so that we could reproduce it would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

Uninstalling looks simpler than reverting to 1.4!

This folder was never shared read-only, but I can't be sure whether it was first shared from the Windows machine to the Linux machine or vice versa (ie which machine the key was actually generated on). Is there anything you would like me to check for you before I uninstall & re-install?

Chris V,

Classic folders in Sync 2.0 are not shared via ACL (access control list), so checking access level from other peers will not show anything.

Better try to note the steps that lead to the problem, as we cannot reproduce it in our labs. Also, keep logging enabled and send the logs to us. 

oh, wait, one thing to check - open this folder preferences and see if it has both RW and RO key, you may use them to share the folder. 

It more looks like a UI bug, not core's.