Forced To Upgrade To Syncpro!

Dear friends,

I am having difficulty using Bit Torrent Free as the system seems to be forcing me to try the Pro version for 30 days and I do not want to do this. Every time I click on Sync I get a wizard which is trying to take me into the Pro version. 

Thanks.

So far the only "workaround" that has been given is that you have to go ahead and install it as Pro. Then you set ALL your devices' clocks ahead 31 days so it expires the free trial. Then you can set all your devices' clocks back to the correct time.

They really need to give you the option of not trying the pro version if you know you're not going to use it.

So far the only "workaround" that has been given is that you have to go ahead and install it as Pro. Then you set ALL your devices' clocks ahead 31 days so it expires the free trial. Then you can set all your devices' clocks back to the correct time.

They really need to give you the option of not trying the pro version if you know you're not going to use it.

Remove license.bin from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync\License\###

So far, the only official word about the inescapable trial was to "not spread conspiracy theories" when accused of forcing it as a way to make people dependent on having more than ten folders. Given how the company has been behaving since 2.0 was released, using the C word strikes me as entirely appropriate.

There's a suggestion about moving time forward on your machine a month on the thread. Don't. It can cause complications with file versioning unless you plan on keeping that time on all of your devices forever.

Thanks for the tip! On the Mac:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/BitTorrent\ Sync/License/*/license.bin

It's probably best to quit Bittorrent Sync beforehand. I also had to close and open Sync once more to be able to pass the renewal screen (the first time, clicking 'X' did not work).

Still undecided whether I want Pro or not (or if I'll continue with cloud providers + encryption [1]). I really like Sync. And if it didn't use a subscription model, I would buy it instantly for its current price. But after Adobe's annoying cloud subscription move, I am not sure this is the future I want. And if you don't want it - voting with your wallet is still the most effective.

Just imagine that Bittorrent decides to stop with Sync in a year. With a real software purchase, I could still rely on direct peer to peer syncing and DHT, and slowly look at other options. With a subscription, I cannot renew it, and it's immediately over.

(In principle, $40 per year is fine with me. Just do a major release every year and entice me to upgrade. This is how e.g. licensing for IntelliJ works, and it's great. They provide value, I buy.)

</rant>

[1] Yes, this may sound inconsistent, but with a cloud provider I am subscribing for *something*, namely storage and bandwidth.

A new version of btsync hasn't been released in a while. Is an update coming soon to address all of these huge open issues that were created by moving to a completely new type of system with 2.0?

You'd be better off asking that in a new topic. Probably won't be noticed here.