Bug - 1.4.111 Ignoring User Choice During Update Check

BitDuck

Is it to be expected that 1.x Bugs & Problems are ignored by BittorrentSync staff? Over a week has passed and no reaction. Not OK for a company that wants to charge money.

Please state clearly if BTS 1.4x is ignored and will not be supported anymore or if this is just an oversight.

This bug is still nagging every BTS 1.4 user several times a day. Why do I get the feeling that this issue is ignored on purpose? If the intention is to annoy 1.4 users, maybe 1.4 users should reply here every time the dialog to upgrade pops up and ignored the users choice.

BitDuck,

the problem is that disabling 'check for updates' in not saved to settings.dat. Sync saves it on every quit. Can you confirm that Sync is shut down correctly and there is no BitTorrent Sync process still running after that? 

Make sure that 'check for updates' is still disabled, and send the settings.dat and settings.dat.old from %appdata% \ BitTorrent Sync folder to us via this form

after that try deleting them (when Sync is off). When you start Sync, this option will be enabled (by default). disable it and see if the problem remains. 

Thanks for your response after three weeks Helen.

I double checked that after disabling the "check for updates" BTS was properly exited. Also there were no other BTS tasks running.

To top it off, there is now a "task pending" showing up (alarm clock on top) demanding that I do the update. No further description to what version.

The two requested files have been send via the form.

Also I deleted the settings.dat and tried yet again to save my choice to not check for updates.

On another note Helen, deleting the settings.dat removed all shares and forces me to redo all shares with the necessary long checks and syncs. I would have expected a warning from a professional support person about this.

BitDuck,

In your settings, the 'check for updates' is still marked as enabled. Is changing other settings (for example, listening port, or launch on startup, etc) honored properly? 

We need to brainstorms this issue, as there seems to be no particular steps to reproduce it, it's not reproducible in our labs. 

deleting settings.dat and settings.dat.old does not remove the folders from Sync, that is why I didn't warn you. Settings.dat do not have information about your folders. Settings keep only *settings* - smth you see in Preferences and advanced preferences. 

Make sure that you didn't delete sync.dat and sync.dat old, since it's them who keeps information about your folders, and deleting them deletes the folders from Sync.

For that issue try a workaround - edit the hosts file, add the following lines there:

127.0.0.1 www.usyncapp.com

127.0.0.1 download.usyncapp.com

If you ever want to bring "check for updates" back, make sure you remove these lines.

For Windows hosts file is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Mac: /private/etc/hosts