w82

Solved: Cifs Mount Permission Issues - Can't Write

Update: midway through this post I tried running BT Sync as root, group btsync, and it works. I don't like it, but it works. There is some awful permission-hell happening but I hope this helps someone.

Hi,

I've spent four days trying to resolve this, and I really am stumped. I can't get BTSync to write to a CIFS mount which is in my home directory, and which is used by various other programs and scripts perfectly fine.

What's odd is that when creating a new folder in BT Sync's Web Gui, this is created in the CIFS share correctly, but no files can be synced and it displays the error "Don't have permissions to write to selected folder".

I've tried changing the mount parameters to include 0777 file_mode and dir_mode (as listed here). After chmodding 777 to the folder I've also tried, successfully, in SSH:

sudo -u btsync touch boo.c

But, still, the error above persists.

I've spent four days trying to resolve this, and I really am stumped. I can't get BTSync to write to a CIFS mount which is in my home directory, and which is used by various other programs and scripts perfectly fine.

This sounds like a disaster in the making :(. What if BTSync is started at a point when the CIFS mount is not available? It could think that the directory is now empty and sync all peers accordingly.

(I think this is only safe when Bittorrent sync's internal administration is also on the same CIFS mount, because then the BTSync daemon will just not start when the data is not available.)

This sounds like a disaster in the making :(. What if BTSync is started at a point when the CIFS mount is not available? It could think that the directory is now empty and sync all peers accordingly.

(I think this is only safe when Bittorrent sync's internal administration is also on the same CIFS mount, because then the BTSync daemon will just not start when the data is not available.)

It's mounted in /home/user/mount_dir/ - not /home/ :)