Can't Link New Device

Jaman42

I just bought a new laptop which I am trying to link to my account. If I try and link it by scanning the QR code with my mobile it tries for a while then fails without much information. If I try and add it manually I get the error message that it can't be added while there is a device that is more than 10 minutes off on server time or something like that, the time is correct on all devices so I don't understand that error message. I tried linking other devices and that went fine. I also tried reinstalling btsync and disabling the firewall but nothing worked. Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

well at least i know i'm not the only one. i have been using sync pro for quite some time and yeah i get an identical error when trying to add a new FRESH pc. i have uninstalled and reinstalled but the same issue. 

given we are having the same issue at a similar time i suspect a server is down somewhere. 

EDIT: oh wow yeah. identical time. i just started googling and this post came up so i very much suspect this is an external issue. 

Edited by sparkyblaster

sparkyblaster, did you check timezone on each peer? If you have the same time but different time zones you will see that time difference is more than 10 minutes. Sync connects to our tracker server to discover other peers. You will see "Cannot connect to the tracker" at the bottom of the Sync. But linking devices with time difference error related only to your devices.

You can send us logs if you want. We'll analyze it and show you if there is time difference or not. You can submit them using this form.

i used the link you posted about how to send logs and there was an email with where to send the logs. i got no response with a ticket number. i just formatted my mac tonight and am having the same issue. checked clock. the only thing to have changed with all my systems is i recently got cable internet. is there a way i can manually copy files over and link them?

sparkyblaster, Unfortunately I cannot find your request. So I created a ticket and send you the link to upload logs. Let's continue our discussion in the support system.

Regarding your question - you can do that but it is not recommended because when you add a folder and connect each peer Sync will calculate hash of each file and compare it with another peer and it might take a while.

no i meant link the devices off line. copy the file that links them.

i created a new pool and it seems to work fine though not with a qr code but copying the link from the phone to a desktop.  the original devices that my pool was created will is long gone. is there a way i can transfer py pro membership if i do need to start from scratch?

i will recreate the original error and send it in response to that email. 

i have sent an email though but no responce yet. i would also like to state there is a huge bug with linking. i need to go in set it up to activate pro, remove the device and only then am i able to link something. this creates an issue further that if i unlink from an active pool i cant activate the trial to relink a device.  if i have pro why cant i just go right in and link. 

i found the email with my licence but i am not able to download it again. how do i transfer my licence from my broken pool to my working one?

Edited by sparkyblaster

by some miracle i was able to find my licence file. i am 100% sure that something in my old pool got corrupted. with a full reset everything is working as expected. i am sure it was not my clock.  if you would like anymore info i have kept one of my systems in the old pool. is there any chance i hit a device limit? i wipe machines and re-add them quite often so i have a number machines on the list now (even though i click remove)

btw when someone buys a licence and you give it to them in an email. it is irresponsible for you to let the link go dead. ether give them the file directly in the email or keep the link alive.  

Edited by sparkyblaster

sparkyblaster, unfortunately we still don't have response from you too. Maybe you used another e-mail and the e-mail from the forum doesn't work. It it appeared in the SPAM folder.

I doubt that you reached device limit. Unfortunately without logs we cannot suggest why it happened and why now it works.

My devices feature was hidden so new users won't be confused what to do next. That's why after initial installation you need to create identity first then activate the trial and only after that you can link other peers. Although you don't need to activate the license if you paste M-key for linking to another identity in the Manual connection.

Probably you found old e-mail regarding license. The receipt email was changed several times that's why it doesn't work. You can always ask the support team to resend you the license or download it manually via license management console.

seems i was having a lot of troubble sending the logs. 

so you are telling me that if i pay for pro i have to go through loop holes just to use what i pay for? so i am being treated as a 2nd rate to though that haven't paid? if you had that option to link to an existing pool how would that be confusing to new users? its more confusing to make people go through  a bunch of hoops just to use your software.  i thought it was a bug that it did not show. you are telling me you planned it like that? when i first learnt how to do it i spent an hour trying to work it out. by hiding it you get a big loss to usability and such a small gain from it. i link devices quite regularly and i am rather over having to set up the trial just to link to my paid pool. why don't you activate the trial when it is first opened? ether way you need to allow me to link to my existing set up without needing to set up unrelated things.  i 

i also never changed my email. yes it was an old email but it was the only email containing my licence that you have sent. why would the link go dead? the file is 3kb in size. why did you not attach it directly to the email?

sparkyblaster, many users who have installed Sync first time find it too confusing to choose what they want: "create new identity" or "link to another device". They didn't know what to choose next and deleted Sync before trying it. Now Sync doesn't ask that question it asks to create identity name. Most of users don't need "My devices" feature so we hid it and if someone needs it, he or she can install the license or activate trial license and proceed next. Please note that you don't need to activate PRO license to link to existing peer with the license and identity. You only need to do that on the first peer to which you link other devices. Mobile devices can always scan QR code and link to another device while on desktop you can always input M-key to link to another device.

The license file should be in the email. We have the option to send you the license email without the file by your request. But we send email with the key after purchase.

so you removed the streamlined attachment to make it easier for the people who are not paying for it? i gather that i can create an identity then link though its something i have always avoided as i have had issues in the past of it destroying my existing pool or licence.  i would much prefer just have the option to link directly and not worry about things being broken or conflicting identity and user names. ie just show that option you can get once you activate the trial. the code is there. it looks like a glitch when it's not there at the start.  perhaps you just need to change the wording a little bit. ie phrases like first time setup and link to existing setup

ah i apologise it turns out the file was attached to the email. the link still says "not available" when i click it though. 

I am also having an issue where if i delete a device it will show up on a newly linked device. so for instance i have the same mac mini listed 3 times. ie removing the device does not remove it at all. it doesn't even hide it from everything. just hides it from one thing then will show it again on a new device. i think at one point i removed every pc from my pool and on the one that was left i deleted all the devices but when i re added them all the old ones still showed up. i know its not so much a big deal but i should be able to clean up a system that is designed to run long term. otherwise when it comes to fixing something or working something out i have a huge mas of devices listed that i need to work though. or simply when im trying to work out what systems are in fact in my pool i cant tell that at all. 

sparkyblaster, there is such an option. You can create identity, install the license/activate trial license, then open My devices => this device => Unlink. After that you will be suggested to create new identity or link to existing device.

You can resent us the email in the support system as your license should be personal and link should work. Then we'll be able to check it.

Unfortunately there is no way to "Delete device". You need to unlink device from other devices. To do that first you need to make sure that Sync is able to discover other devices. After that open My devices => This device => Unlink. After that device will disappear from all devices. When you click on the "X" button in the My devices you don't delete the device, you only hide it on the current peer. So you need to clear all offline devices when you link another device.

so i just tried doing it the way you said. oh how wonderful that failed. I set up a new identity. had to make sure i wrote the same name as my other pcs cos it almost wasn't the same.  still can't link AT ALL till i activate the trial. its gread out and wont let me. even though im wanting to add my pool containing a licence. i get out my phone to link without removing this identity as you said dont need to. oh look my phone is now complaining that if i do this it cant transfer some folders and info. ie its trying to link my phone to this new sync and not my pc to my existing pool. it just doesn't work its not practical. to link it i need to set everything up. activate an unnecessary trial. unsetup everything, then and only then can i use what i literally paid for. 

its incredibly simple, go back to the old way. show the instant link devices so i can just do it and go without having to go through hoops. i literally paid you money and you are treating me as a 2nd rate to new customers.  if people don't understand then you need to change the wording. just because someone gets mixed up doesn't mean you remove it it means you fix it. pleas dont think im just some dumb complaining user. i have worked with software developers and i have been a system tester for them. 

what happens when i reset sync and i cant activate the 30 day trial? do i have to reinstall everything? 

Capture3.PNG

sparkyblaster, when you scan a QR code it links mobile device to the peer which show the QR code. If you have standard folders only you can link your phone to PC then PC will receive standard folders. Sync uses certificates for advanced folders so certificates won't be valid if you change identity. That's why you need to add advanced folders again.

I said that you don't need to activate trial license if you want to paste M-key into "Manual Connection". That way works correctly for desktop. If you want to link desktop device to mobile device you can copy M-key from the mobile device. To do that choose "Show key" from the context menu, copy the key and transfer it to desktop. After that paste M-key in the Manual connection dialog.

When you create the same device name /user name without linking to other devices you won't get the same identity.

I added your request to our wish list.

If you activate trial license and don't use 30 days to link to other devices you need to activate the license to get pro features. And once again if you paste M-key in the Manual connection dialog you will be able to link to other device even if trial license expired.