Linux Randomly Syncing Folders

I have 30 linux machines in a btsync account all share slightly different folders from the list. Yesterday, All servers sudddenly decided to sync all folders on that account.

Pretty quickly, all of them filled the disks and crashed.

Firstly, I can't explain how annoyed I am that this happened.

All servers have been told to get new folders as disconnected but these were not new folders.

I had to do an emergency crontab on all servers to rm -rf "/root/BitTorrent Sync"  just to stop the disks filling up and then manually disconnected folders on each machine via the UI.

This morning, it all happened again.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this ? I was thinking of going back to manual btsync.conf files to stop this sort of thing happening but they make it impossible to add a new server via this file so you need the ui at some point to put a new server on the account.

Seems very beta software to me. 1.4 was great and the new "paid" version has been nothing but trouble so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I just experienced this issue. I filed a request #27397 through help center, but I repeat a message here for the community.

My setup is following: I have btsync 2.0.120 on Windows8.1 x64 desktop and ArchLinux RaspberryPi 3.18.14-2-ARCH armv6l GNU/Linux. All other devices attached to my btsync identity were offline. I had temporary Pro license, but it already expired.

Windows-machine have 9 folders, RPI knows and syncs just 3 of them.

Today I booted my Windows desktop and suddenly saw, that it started to sync all folders to RPI. I logged in to RPI and saw, that now RPI-btsync knows about all folders and downloads them under new directory '/home/pashkoff/BitTorrent Sync/'.

After that I paused everything on Windows side and removed each unnecessary folder on RPI through web-UI.

There are lines "Folder sync level being set to full sync mode for folder 'Captures'." in the Windows-side sync.log file, which never happened before.

exbigpiggy,

What Sync version you use on them and what License type? What changed is the setup right before it happened - a new server added, or Trial expired? anything? 

pashkoff,

The logs you have aren't debug, unfortunately, and not not contain much useful information. Can you please make sure to have debug logging enabled and send the fresh logs from 2.0.126?

This has just happened again (4th time now) even though I checked every server to ensure they should start disconnected. the last time was when I turned on my mac with a slightly older version of btsync.

All servers then decided they were unlicensed and won't accept the new lic (even though it ways it was approved)

I have decided to stop using this product. Its a shame because the concept is good but the execution for the pro version is terrible. Its just not useable anymore. It reminds me of adobe software, it spends more time making sure you license it, which it does badly, and therefore stops it being useful.

Its available under devices and you can only change the current device but it doesn't seem to stick. I have had it change many times back to synced all by itself.

My servers (which i am in the process of uninstalling but i need to get it working first) all seem to have lost the folder list connection also.

@all, 

Any chance to collect debug logs from all peers and send to us? 

is there any pattern on when the device s are switched to Synced mode? apart from staring mac in exbigpiggy's case. 

exbigpiggy,

Can you update this mac? For Pro support, can you please reach out support Team? We've created a ticket for you.