Hi everybody,

On a Qnap Nas, I just wonder how you can set up BTsync on the folder "/share" (the root one)?

During the set up process, BTsync doesn't allow me to do this...

See screenshot here : http://phantom.d.pr/1fwPV/4P15wl6B

I think it's all about permissions right, even if I'm logged in as "admin" (=root account on Qnap Nas).

For the moment BTsync just allow me to choose a subfolder but we already have folders (for example : ADMIN, ARCHIVES, LIBRARIES, WORK) inside the "/share".

These folders have been previously synced with RTRR protocol (approx. 3TB of datas).

Now we want to manage the syncing process with BTSync... because RTRR is way to slow...

If you have any idea, it would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

John

• 4 weeks later...
The reason for - Your config file prevents you from accessing this folder - : 

Each package on a NAS runs with a config file where primary settings are defined. 

In particular on QNAP : 

"directory_root" : "/share", 

"directory_root_policy" : "belowroot"

The first line means that adding shared folders start at /share by default 

the second lines means that you can create folder below_root, i.e. below /share, in other words - in a subfolder of /share directory. 

This is done in this way to avoid messing up permissions, since Sync on NAS's runs under admin, which doesn't have rw access to all folders in /.

You may use any console editor, that you feel comfortable using. change "directory_root" : "/share", to "directory_root" : "/", and save it. 

You might need to restart Sync or NAS. 

You may change config manually and set 

"directory_root" : "/", 

but please be careful about it, so that permissions for other folders in / directory remained correct. And make Sure you give admin RW access to necessary folders you are going to sync. 

On QNAP sync.conf (config file) is located at /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/.sync/ where instead of MD0_DATA, it may be HDA_DATA, CACHEDEV1_DATA, ... or whatever volume you choose to install Sync.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for beginner's level detail on this.  I got as far as finding a console editor (MobaXterm) and accessing my qnap (TVS-471) via SSH.  Played around a little with some linux command lines, changing directories and displaying their contents.  But, I haven't figured out how to actually change the root folder, as described above.  I attempted copying and pasting what Helen, the administrator above, wrote.  So, I copied the following (with and without quotations): directory_root" : "/share", to "directory_root" : "/ 

See the attached screenshot.

Can anyone hold my hand through this?

Image 001.jpg

Stop Sync
1. You need to find the config with which Sync is running, Most likely this will be share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/ResilioSync/resilio-sync.conf
navigate to  /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/ResilioSync/ (cd /share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/ResilioSync)

2. open it in a text editor vi  (vi resilio-sync.conf), edit the file and change  "directory_root" : "/share" line to  "directory_root" : "/" . Note that Vi editor may seem complex, so please see the guides on how to use it. 
Close the editor and save settings. 

Start Sync.