Btsync 2.0 Lan License

b0rman

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there.

Could you please elaborate on how and when exactly the license check is done?

Having the "LAN License" mechanism in place sounds like not having license servers to be contected. That's actually *the* main reason for me currently not to use v2: I had the impression some online license check was going on that required other servers then those being 100% controled by myselfe.

So, could you please describe the actual icense validation process on this very example:

* I want to use v2.

* I don't want to share my data with others (currently), only three computers and two android devices all under the same sync identity since all of them are mine (laptop, gaming computer, office computer, NAS in the basement, daily mobile phone and daily tablet).

* It's only about three shares.

* I just don't know if I'm going to use "pro" or if "free" is enough. Since I only share personal data (music), the "free" should be enough. But just in case I get permisson from my offices IT department to use it for business stuf as well, I'll gladly upgrade to "pro":

* I don't use tracker servers, relay servers and DHT, only known hosts.

Does this scenario require any of the "sync" processes to contact BitTorrent servers for license verification?

What happens if one day BitTorrent decides to go out of business. In case I go with the "free" version, will that still keep working or does ist stop because of not being able to contact BitTorrent license servers?

The fact of having the "LAN License" mechanism in place makes me hope that no Licenserver is required to keep "free" mode working.

That, in fact, could be *the* major point for my corporation to consider this product for sharing internal data.

[edit]

The very answer I hope for is much shorter than the question. So you might just say yes/no to those assertions:

1. A license server is only used to retrieve a license file for a given identity.
  2. If no license file is available for a given identity (no matter if that is because of no license server is available or if the license server has no file to provide for me), the client just uses the "free" mode.
  3. The entire license check is done on client side by validating the license file (cryptographic signature) and making sure the license file matches the current identity.
  4. No server connection asking "is the current license file still valid" is established.

Regards,

Stephan.

Stephan,

>A license server is only used to retrieve a license file for a given identity.

that's right, relax, no server is required to keep your Sync Pro. Server is only needed to generate and send the license to you. Further the license is kept locally on your devices, independently of BitTorrent's servers. 

>If no license file is available for a given identity, the client just uses the "free" mode.

if I get it right - yes. if it's not Pro, it's Free. Or trial :) 

>The entire license check is done on client side by validating the license file (cryptographic signature) and making sure the license file matches the current identity.

not exactly. The client checks license signature (yes), and makes sure the license is valid. So part "making sure the license file matches the current identity." - no. License has no predefined identity, as it can be used on any. 

>No server connection asking "is the current license file still valid" is established.

that's right. License expiration date is encoded into license itself. 

Hey Helen.

Thank you for your response. That's essentially what I wanted to hear. I guess I'll switch from 1.4 to 2.0 in a couple of days.

But there's one thing left after you mentioned the license not being bound to a specific identity.

Which feature exaclty makes sure to use a single license only on a single identity?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to do that. If I'm going to buy licenses, those of course will be as much as required according to the number of persons involved.

The linked FAQ page says I can add the license to a sync instance by using the .btskey file. When I set up a little testing environment, let's say tow virtual windows machines in a network not connected to the outside world but only in a private LAN. Assume I'm putting a purchased license in such a testing setup.

Is there any technical thing that prevents me from deleting the testing environment from my system and using that single licens on my daily driver computer afterwards?

Regards,

Stephan.

Stephan,

License is reusable. And after you tested it in your test environment, you can use it on production after.  

But it can be used only on one environment at a time. Cause same one-seat license cannot be applied (either via link of btskey file) on several machines. Only on one, making it Pro. Other machine need to be linked to this Pro identity. If after that you will apply the license on another machine, it will take Pro from the first machine.