Latest Desktop Build 2.0.128

Dear community,

Sync 2.0.128 is now available through the official download site and via auto-update.

Direct Download Links are also available:

A list of what's new, improved, changed, and fixed in this version is available in the change log.

Ironically this seems to have introduced a syncing issue after I was having a pretty good time with .120

Peers, usually (always?) ones on isolated networks, start up, complete their indexation and then report large numbers of files to upload to every other peer in the swarm.  Other peers show themselves as synced but sometimes have a small number of files needing to be sent to the stuck peer.  Not sure yet whether this is symptom or side-effect, suspect the latter.

Result is the stuck peer fails to sync anything at all, up or down.

@GreatMarko, all updated.  Mostly Macs and a Synology NAS.

Interestingly, I think I've found the culprit.  Does BTSync have some code that determines how much upload bandwidth is available and throttle and/or delay entirely transmission?  If so, it looks like it might be overzealous.

I've got some very large transfers occurring from the parent network at present via sftp.  The upload those transfers are using seems to be entirely blocking BTSync from working despite intentionally having been throttled to leave headroom for other services though to be fair we do have rather constrained upload bandwidth where I am, capping out at around 2.5Mbit/s.

Stop the sftp uploads, and restart the remote client and everything synchronises properly.  Start the uploads again and BTSync grinds to a halt entirely after a while for remote clients and particularly seems to have problems with remote clients starting.  A client started remotely whilst the parent network is stalled out doesn't seem to ever get going without a manual restart, even if you halt the sftp uploads, though it does transfer a bunch of data.

I've not seen this in the past with .120 and I would have been doing similar uploads, its part of my work, but it makes me wonder whether this could be triggering an issue that runs beyond just this point release.  I'm probably pushing the client a bit harder than most as well, the share in question is ~40GB and ~210,000 files.

• 2 weeks later...

@linenoise

Yes, Sync determines how loaded the bandwidth is, and Sync's behavior is not greedy - it is going to throttle data flow if bandwidth is not enough. Although, this behavior did not change between .120 and .128, so I'm surprised to hear that it works differently for you.