What is the best practice when trying to sync a large folder?

1. Can the "master copy" be copied to the "slave" and then simply referencing during the sync setup at the slave?

2. Also, should one have started a sync already, would it be wise to stop the sync, copy files from the "master" to the "slave" and then simply restart the sync to speed-up the initial transfer?

Edited by Wicus

1. Can the "master copy" be copied to the "slave" and then simply referencing during the sync setup at the slave?

Yes

2. Also, should one have started a sync already, would it be wise to stop the sync, copy files from the "master" to the "slave" and then simply restart the sync to speed-up the initial transfer?

Yes

Bottom line... if the contents of two folders on two different devices are identical prior to adding them to Sync on both devices, Sync will index the folders, realize they're identical, and nothing should transfer.

If physically manually copying a large volume of files over isn't practical, another alternative would be to Sync from scratch, but add more devices to your sync "mesh". For example, if you wish to sync device A -> device B, adding in a couple more devices (C and D) during initial, would mean that device B could potentially receive data a lot quicker than it otherwise could, as the original files from A will sync to B, C, and D, and in turn B, C, and D would also be able to share data they've received with each other - the net result being that B could receive data from 3 nodes, instead of just 1. Then once A and B are in sync, simply remove nodes C and D.

Thanks for the reply.

However, should one copy 1TB of data from one share to another and then remove a file or two on the slave share, whilst Sync is still indexing, would Syn re-write the deleted files to the slave or delete them from the Master ?

Note that Indexing seems to take about 2 or 3 days on 1TB of data.

Why is the initial sync slow? I have two computers with their copies of a folder that is 265GB in size. These two computers are synced using BTSync. Now I am adding this large folder to a third computer. As you can see in the screenshot, this third computer is not getting its files fast.

All three computers are on the same LAN, and I would expect speeds at least 10x this. In fact, if I pause sync and copy files in the Finder from one of the other computers, the speed is as expected.

KO6ScS6.png

Try to disable "lan_encrypt_data" in preferences -> Advances -> More options... on each machine inside your LAN that uses BTS.

There are a few possible reasons you aren't seeing speeds higher than that. A few preliminary questions:

-What speeds did you average when initially syncing the first 2 computers?

-How many computers/device are on the current router/switch you are using, and what is the make and model of your router?

The logic behind these questions is to determine the location of your bottleneck/s. If the first two saw faster speeds it rules out your router unless you have some setting affecting the IP the 3rd computer pulled from the router. If the speeds have been the same for all, than your router and or operating system could be to blame. 

Hard to give advice on the router, as it could be a problem with upnp settings not being active and/or needing to identify and use manual IPs throughout your connected computers. 

The computers being the source, could be the CPU and chipsets (in the case of Atom based hardware), or the send and receive buffers need to be increased. 

I see 60-90mb/s across all my LAN devices. (windows 8.1 pro devices.)

2d

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the network.

Yeah if he has a switch or old cables that are not 100mbit or 1gbit..

I have a similar issue. 

I have DAS over thunderbolt raid5. I have a photo archive that I want to sync to my other mac that has a 4TB usb3.0 attached. Over 801.11ac. 

Here is what I see:

fL72UD2.png

I can send files much faster via finder or even sftp.

Any ideas?

Edited by kerim