Syncing And Android Sd Card

So I remember all of the problem Google created when they release Andorid 4.4.2, however I thought they fixed all of this in 5.0. I am running a Galexy S5 5.0 stock everything but I can't write to the SD card out side of that stupied com.bittorrent.sync folder. Is this still a thing?

I am able to use X-Plore app to edit change deleat files, but I think I had to give permission to X-Plore to enable write access to the SD card as shown in this gude.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/how-to-grant-sd-card-access-apps-t3015960

I can't get BTSync to popup this window to allow access to the SD card. Does BTsync support the new Storage access Framework? Or am I missing somthing?

Thanks

@Catsrules

TL;DR: We are researching this possibility.

In details: Android Lollipop has a specialized API to access ExtSD. It is very different from native file management API and it is not fully clear if we can retain full Sync functionality using it. This is subject to research and implement it in future.

For now Sync is only capable to fully sync data to its home folder (though it can backup data from any location on your ExtSD).

Ahh ok, thanks for the information. I guess I will wait pashently for more information.

I have been trying to sync my Music across all of my divices however non of the music apps can find the music on the ExtSD when it is in the com.bittorrent.sync folder. It is very anoying.

• 3 months later...

Hello. Is it still impossible to BTsync to External SD (Samsung S5, Lollipop 5.0)?

Syncing just a bit of my music takes up all the device memory and seems to stop email downloading (no space).

If I try to change default folder location to /storage/exSdCard I get message "Dont have permissions to write to selected folder. On external SD card it is allowed to write to app designated directory only."

(I should point out that I am not really sure what I am doing!)

Thanks. There was one further level named "files" but I did not select that. It has let me use that as a default sync folder.

Of the items I have already sync'd to the system memory - should I just delete them (or will that delete on my PC too?) and then re-sync. Or is there an easier way to move them? Thank you!

brixtonia,

Of the items I have already sync'd to the system memory - should I just delete them (or will that delete on my PC too?) and then re-sync. Or is there an easier way to move them? Thank you!

if the folder, residing on internal storage, is still in Sync, disconnect it and move the files to the new share located  on the SD card, using a file browser. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/26/2015 at 11:11 PM, Helen said:

@all interested,

There is a beta build with ability to write to SD card available for testing. Please apply here.  

All feedback is welcome, please send it from the app with logs attached if you find a problem. Thank you. 

@Helen

I applied for the beta several days ago but have not had an update filter through to my Android. Is the beta still available?

This issue is frustrating. Has it been fixed yet?
James

44 minutes ago, Helen said:

James, 

Beta is terminated with release of v2.3.0 on January 21 (IIRC) 2016, where writing to SD card is implemented. Please note that it's possible only on Android 5.0 and newer. 

Is v2.3.0 for the server end not the Android end?

FWIW if you're using an Samsung S5, switch to CyanogenMod 13 and enable adoptable storage. This will give you trouble-free access to your SD card with full read-write permissions. It's what I use. I wrote a comprehensive guide on how to get CM 13 up and running on the Verizon S5 here: https://jdrch.wordpress.com/2016/04/17/how-to-unlock-the-bootloader-install-and-update-cyanogenmod-13-0-on-the-verizon-samsung-galaxy-s5/

19 hours ago, Helen said:

Well, since then version has gone far away, and for today it's 2.3.8 for desktops and 2.3.5 for Android. 

Please visit Google play market to download the latest Sync, or download the apk and latest desktops from this forum topic or the official site. 

So I updated the server end to 2.3.8 and have the current Android 2.3.5 and it will still not work. The process I use is this

I add the folder to the server and make it read/write and then scan the QR on the Droid. It will not let me change the folder name from a bunch of numbers to the filename I want.

So what am I doing wrong?

• 1 month later...