Sync A Certain Folder Only Over Local Network

tjluoma

I have lots of folders that I want to sync with any of my other computers over the Internet, but there are some folders I would like to ONLY sync on a local network.

Imagine this scenario:

A = Desktop computer at home

B = Laptop

C = Desktop computer at work

Now assume that I have a large folder (multi GB) called "ReallyBigFolder" on 'C' that I want to have on 'B' and 'A' but it's not urgent and the network that 'C' is on has very very poor upload bandwidth.

I can wait until the next time that I have my laptop at the office to sync "ReallyBigFolder" from 'C' to 'B' and then when I bring my laptop home, "ReallyBigFolder" can sync from 'B' to 'A'.

Now… _most_ of my folders are not multi GB so 'C' can sync those normally, but is there a way to tell 'C' to only sync "ReallyBigFolder" on the local network?

If so, how?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

That article seems like it should answer the question, but I just tried it, and it didn't work. With the settings below, the folder continues to sync as usual. (I have restarted BitTorrent Sync, just to see if that was necessary. It did not seem to have any effect.)

I am using version 2.1.1 

BitTorrent_Sync_LAN_only_Sync-20150804-1

@tjluoma

There is one more thing. Your folder caches global IPs of your home and work computers and knows exactly how to reach them, even after you disabled tracker server. So, all you need to do is to flush cache. You can do it by setting advanced preference peer_expiration_days to 0 on your laptop (you'll need to restart). Just don't forget to set it back to 7.

Aha! Well, if I can make a suggestion, it would be a lot easier if there was a way to do all of this at once, with an option for "LAN Syncing Only" that would disable the appropriate options and flush the cache.

Also, Can I force Sync to do local network (LAN) syncing only and not sync via the Internet? should be updated with this information.

(I assume you mean I just need to restart the app, not my laptop :-)