Sync Missing One File (Two Days Running)

agrajag

I use BT Sync (up to date with 2.1.1 on Mac OS X) for syncing my lab data. Data files are created on my lab computer (typically 20-50 files in a day), all in one folder for the day's experiments. The lab data is then sync'ed to my Univ Office, home office and laptop.

Yesterday and today, Sync has missed *one* file. I can't see any pattern, and all the other files seem fine. Up to now the BT Sync coordination has been very reliable, but this has me worried about losing data (I do also have regular Time Machine backups on all these computers).

Is there something I can do to track down the problem? I know I can enable logging, but on which computer, and also it is random so I don't know when in the day the error might be cropping up. 

Any advice appreciated.

Do bear in mind that Sync can't transfer a file if it's currently open/locked/in use by another application.

Are you sure the file in question doesn't fall into this category?

Quite sure as the app that created the file is quit at the end of the day. It is a Carbon app (Mac OS X) so I am wondering if there is something going on there. Also it is only one (or once two) files that this happens to out of a dozen or more that are otherwise equivalent.

Is there a tool I can use to see if the file is open/locked/in use?

agrajag,

For Mac OS, lsof command in Terminal, or What's keeping me app (or any other found in google) can show you files in use.

As for that particular file not syncing, there might be multiple reasons:

1) permissions, as GreatMarko noticed the file may be locked/used/unavailable/ read-only, etc. 

2) wrong filename (non utf encoding symbols). try renaming it.

4) file update not detected. Try re-adding it to the folder - move out and then put back 

5) too long file path. 

6) file is being ignored. Check IgnoreList (it's in your_sync_folder/.sync/Ignorelist) and make sure that this file is not subject to ignoring rules.

7) remote peer runs out of space. For example, if this file is big

8) remote peer is read-only and this file got changed on it. Check Overwrite changed files option in Sync in folder prefs. 

9) remote peer has filename.bts which stuck. try deleting it and restarting Sync. 

10) etc. 

For a more precise analysis of the problem, please collect logs from the peer which cannot upload the file in the peer which cannot download it. Instruction is here

Thank you!