Nas Btsync - Blank Page

Hi,

I have BTSync installed on a NAS and everthing works well at first.

But after relogging I only get an empty page, well more the known grey row, but without the icons and no folders. Synology NAS.

I empty the Browser Cache and restart and I am asked for password/user and login works, but no folders, no menu, only the grey background of the known icons.

Anyone got an idea?

Phil

Hi,

I have BTSync installed on a NAS and everthing works well at first.

But after relogging I only get an empty page, well more the known grey row, but without the icons and no folders. Synology NAS.

I empty the Browser Cache and restart and I am asked for password/user and login works, but no folders, no menu, only the grey background of the known icons.

Anyone got an idea?

Phil

What model of the Synology NAS?

Did you used the Synology app store to install the BitTorrent Sync App?

Have you tried a different browser?

Do you have other Apps installed?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running into the same problem using either Chrome or Safari on my OS X 10.9.5 machines.

I've got a DS413j (CPU: MARVELL Kirkwood 88F6282) running DSM 5.2-5592 Update 3.

I installed BTSync from the Synology app store, but then, when this problem started happening, upgraded to BTSync 2.1.3 (74) by downloading a package directly from BitTorrent.

When I initially install the software, I'm able to create a login password and administer the synced folders.  But subsequent logins just render the dark gray bar at the top of the page with nothing else in it.

I just deleted /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/settings.dat* as suggested by @Helen, and I was able to set the login information again, but I don't want to have to do that every time I want to use the GUI.

I'm running into the same problem using either Chrome or Safari on my OS X 10.9.5 machines.

When I initially install the software, I'm able to create a login password and administer the synced folders.  But subsequent logins just render the dark gray bar at the top of the page with nothing else in it.

Are you running any browser addons/extensions (i.e AdBlock) which may be interfering with the loading/display of the UI in your browsers, and is Javascript enabled?

Are you running any browser addons/extensions (i.e AdBlock) which may be interfering with the loading/display of the UI in your browsers, and is Javascript enabled?

I have several extensions in Chrome, but they aren't interfering with DSM (which is very Javascript) and they didn't interfere with BTSync 1.4. However, before you suggest disabling extensions, that's why I also tried in Safari.

I don't normally use Safari, so it's completely stock with no extensions or addons. Javascript is enabled, otherwise the page wouldn't render when I delete /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/settings.dat* and recreate the login information.  Literally, I had the page rendered after deleting settings.dat and logging in, and then refreshing the page causes it to stop rendering beyond the blank gray bar.

and does it happen each time you launch Sync?

Yes. I've had the GUI rendered in a browser window and then refreshed the window and had the page no longer render.

I've gone to the DSM and stopped and started the service, then clicked on the link to open the GUI.

So far, the only thing that helps is removing settings.dat and recreating the login information. 

The one thing I haven't mentioned so far is that my DS413j is under high CPU load; "/usr/local/bittorrentsync/bin/btsync --config /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/sync.conf" takes up 40%-50% of its CPU, and when one of the reports or my backup to my offsite DS413j is running, there's a load average of 8 or 9.

This results in the rendering after setting the username and password to take a long time (> 10 minutes) (and, because I'm pushing this poor ARM box way past its design limits, I'm prepared for a slow responding GUI), but even allowing over an hour for subsequent renderings doesn't appear to work.

Ideally, I'd love a way to interact with BTSync via the command line, since (to be honest), that's where I'm most comfortable anyway. But, since the GUI is all there is, it's what I'll use... if I can get it to work.

Edited by packy

packy,

You can launch Sync as binary there.

ssh to your NAS 

cd /usr/local/bittorrentsync/bin/

./btsync

See if CPU problem will remain. WEbUI will be available by port 8888. This is how you can run Sync via CLI using config, here're the details

Can you please reproduce CPU usage on NAS and send the log: create debug.txt with FFFFFFFF in /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/, reproduce the issue and send the sync.log to us. Thank you. 

packy,

You can launch Sync as binary there.

ssh to your NAS 

cd /usr/local/bittorrentsync/bin/

./btsync

See if CPU problem will remain. WEbUI will be available by port 8888. This is how you can run Sync via CLI using config, here're the details

Can you please reproduce CPU usage on NAS and send the log: create debug.txt with FFFFFFFF in /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/, reproduce the issue and send the sync.log to us. Thank you. 

First, is there a way to dump the current config for shared folders in the format required for configuration mode?  I've got 17 shared folders that I'm trying to sync, and I'd rather not have to manually copy and paste secrets from my desktop instance of BTSync in order to configure them via the conf file.

Next, I'm not sure what you mean by "with FFFFFFFF".  Is that supposed to be the contents of debug.txt?  So, could I just run echo "FFFFFFFF" > /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/debug.txt from the shell and then reproduce the issue?

I also have the blank page problem on my Synology NAS. I'm running Sync 2.0.93-1 on a Diskstation 214+. Syncing doesn't work as well…

Before that, I already had the problem once. I was running a package from http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1888507-synology?b_id=3895 when I first saw the blank page. I wasn't able to fix it so I installed the "official" package from the synology package center (2.0.93-1). It worked for a while, now it's broken again. 

This is the chrome developer console output when I open the GUI (I get a 404 on the templates.js):
oIRRxy0.png
What can I do to fix this? Last time when I installed the other package I had to reindex all my stuff too, which was a pain in the ass.

@packy

First, is there a way to dump the current config for shared folders in the format required for configuration mode?  I've got 17 shared folders that I'm trying to sync, and I'd rather not have to manually copy and paste secrets from my desktop instance of BTSync in order to configure them via the conf file.

in config one can define only classic 1.4 folders, and sorry, that has to be done manually. 

Yes, I meant echo "FFFFFFFF" > /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/debug.txt 

@jonasj,

template.js is not causing it. Did you try deleting settings.dat files? 

do you see just blank page or a page with gray head on top? Can wee see a screenshot? Thank you.

• 7 months later...

Guys i have the problem on a QNAP TS412. I attach a screenshot., just a grey ribbon showing, and my nas is not a peer.

If I restart the service, it does not help. If I restart the nas, it works for a while then it stops, I don't want to restart nas that often.

CPU monitor shows between 40-60% CPU utilization, and installed Qnap version is 4.2.0 while the rsync version is 2.3.6 These are hopefully the latest today.

Contents of software folder does not seem to contain settings.dat file, so I cant try to delete it.

This service would be very important for me to be reliable. And it isn't at the moment. :(

[/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync] # ls -la                                                                                
drwxr-xr-x    3 1001     1001          4096 Apr 24 17:33 ./                                                                    
drwxrwxrwx   11 admin    administ      4096 Apr 24 07:00 ../                                                                   
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    administ     12288 Apr 24 08:36 .btsync.conf.swp                                                      
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    administ       120 Apr 24 07:00 .list                                                                 
-rwxr-xr-x    1 1001     1001          2605 Mar 28 18:12 .qpkg_icon.gif*                                                       
-rwxr-xr-x    1 1001     1001          3007 Mar 28 18:12 .qpkg_icon_80.gif*                                                    
-rwxr-xr-x    1 1001     1001          2524 Mar 28 18:12 .qpkg_icon_gray.gif*                                                  
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    administ       822 Apr 24 07:00 .uninstall.sh*                                                        
-rw-r--r--    1 1001     1001           227 Mar 28 10:54 LICENSE.TXT                                                           
-rw-r--r--    1 1001     1001          1607 Mar 28 10:54 README                                                                
-rwxr-xr-x    1 1001     1001       8326680 Mar 28 11:02 btsync*                                                               
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    administ       442 Apr 24 07:00 btsync.conf*                                                          
-rwxrwxr-x    1 1001     1001           375 Oct 13  2015 btsync.conf.qdkorig*                                                  
-rwxr-xr-x    1 1001     1001          1130 Mar 28 18:12 btsync.sh*                                                            
drwxrwxrwx    6 admin    administ     12288 Apr 24 17:26 storage/                                                              
[/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync] #  

2016-04-24.jpg

That problem will appear if the database files are too big so it takes time to load the UI.  This may also be the cause of crash - device running out of memory. Try to wait for some 10-20 minutes and see if UI will eventually show up.

16 hours ago, Dezso said:

Contents of software folder does not seem to contain settings.dat file, so I cant try to delete it.

go to /storage directory . Check the size of db , and grab the logs from there. 

10 hours ago, Helen said:

That problem will appear if the database files are too big so it takes time to load the UI.  This may also be the cause of crash - device running out of memory. Try to wait for some 10-20 minutes and see if UI will eventually show up.

go to /storage directory . Check the size of db , and grab the logs from there. 

Hi, Helen, thank you for responding! I don't think they load after even an hour on the page unfortunatelly.

what are the database files, and how do I know if they are too big?

In storage there are many *.db and *.db-shm and *.db-wal files

The total size of the 16 db files are 185MB.

There are 8 folders shared in this sync, the contents are 11.6 GB over 1805 files in 152 folders.

Last few lines in sync.log (14MB) are:

[20160424 07:38:10.289] Can't open file /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/.sync//settings.dat.new with mode 578 permissions 
600 - 2 No such file or directory                                                                                              
[17:14:40.837] Debug log mask has been set to FFFFFFFF                                                                         
[17:14:40.865] Features mask has been set to 0                                                                                 
[20160424 17:14:40.994] Configuration from file "/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/btsync.conf" has been applied            
[/share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/storage] #                                                                               

Basically nothing from today yet, but the  .sync//settings.dat.new is strange for me, don't know linux much, what does double blackslash mean?

Best regards,

Dezső

@Dezso

I meant .db files, and if 16 of them total 185 MB, it's not that much. 

I suppose it started happening when you updated from v2.1.x to v.2.3.x? That line still refers to the older version of Sync where settings were indeed in /.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/.sync, but that's not critical. 

And it looks like the update didn't go through correctly. The quick fix for that would be reinstalling, or prior to that: stop Sync, delete all settings.dat from storage, start Sync. 

However, there might be some other critical errors in logs. I wonder if you could send them to support.

Alright, I have remvoved the dat file, it has not helped. So I removed app from qpkg manager, and verified that it is gone from the .qpkg folder, there is no files left in the BitTorrentSync folder, and reinstalled from scratch.

I will monitor and open support when this happens again.

Added the device to my devices, and now the folders are syncing back with up to 21MB/s speed.

Edited by Dezso