Problem After Updating To 2.0.125 On Qnap Nas

Boutros

I have a problem with the 2.0.125 package.

on both my Imac and Macbook i'm running the 2.0.128 package. A couple of days ago I updated my QNAP NAS to the 2.0.125 version available through qnap app center.

After that update Bit Sync on both my Imac and Macbook keep saying that my nas is offline ... and there are no peers online. When I open my QNAP in a browser window it can't open the Bitsync window either.

Seems like the same problem other users had with the 2.0.85 version?

I have a QNAP TS 253 PRO system.

Hopefully this problem can be soon fixed!

What I would do is update on your iMac and MacBook to the latest available version of BitTorrent Sync which is 2.1.4.

Lot's of bugs have been fixed since the 2.0.125 version and you are not running on that version so this might have already been fixed ;-)

After doing this, please report back.

Boutros,

What I can think of is the change of the user. 2.0.85 run under root, and newer version - under admin. So the problem may be here. Do you have 'admin' user on your NAS? 

Check and make sure that btsync process runs on QNAP (easiest is via ssh) and under what user it runs. 

Thank you for the quick answers :-)

@Moe: on both my Macbook and Imac I'm running the 2.0.128 version.

On QNAP the latest available version is 2.0.125.

Would it change anything by upgrading to the 2.1.4 version? When both my Imac an Macbook are online I can sync between those 2 devices, it is just the syncing to my nas that doesn't work.

@Helen: It's my own private NAS which I use alone. So everything I do is done on the admin-account. So can there still be two different versions then?

Thank you guys in advance!

Would it change anything by upgrading to the 2.1.4 version? 

From problem description it looks like it's just btsync process not running properly, os update of Sync on Mac is unlikely to affect that 

It's my own private NAS which I use alone. So everything I do is done on the admin-account. So can there still be two different versions then?

the key factor here is a user named 'admin'. So even if you have a user with admin privileges, but different name Sync will fail to run. 

So you can check it in QNAP Control Panel. 

Then in Terminal (ssh ) see if Sync process is actually running and under what user. 

• 1 month later...

I also found something else now: when I look into the system log on the qnap I can see this:

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/btsync.conf is saved as /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/btsync.conf.qdkorig

Can this be the problem? And if yes: how can I solve it?

Thanks again in advance!

btsync.conf.qdkorig - the older config is renamed to it when package is updated, and new config is created. 

As long as you actually have btsync.conf file in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/, that btsync.conf.qdkorig shall not be the cause. 

if you do not have btsync.conf file in /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/, then just rename btsync.conf.qdkorig -> btsync.conf

1) on QNAP go to Network Services ->  Telnet / SSH -> allow ssh, apply 

2) on your Host machine connect to it. If on Mac in Terminal type ssh admin@XX.XX.XX.XX (IP of your QNAP), if on Windows - use PuTTY utility . Provide password. 

3) when connected type : cd /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/BitTorrentSync/

4) list the files using command ls -al. 

See if you have both btsync.conf.qdkorig and btsync.conf

ok, then at this point it looks like the process doesn't start. And most likely the problem is with wrong libs linked, which is the problem if the older packaged (are you still running 2.0.105?) 

When ssh'ed you can try to manually launch btsync binary (./btsync). Most likely you'll get "wrong ELF class" or "invalid file format" or alike? 

Can you please update the package? from here . I'd even rather reinstall it.