Latest Desktop Build 2.2.0 - Major Changes Inside!

RomanZ

Also had issues, but somehow I can start only directly now, not anymore via "sudo service btsync" :-( Would you mind posting your configuration?

//!/usr/lib/btsync/btsync-daemon --config{	"storage_path" : "/iomega/btsync-aux/daniel",	"display_new_version": false,	"disk_low_priority" : true,	"lan_encrypt_data" : true,	"rate_limit_local_peers" : false,	"folder_rescan_interval" : 600,	"folder_defaults.delete_to_trash" : true,	"folder_defaults.use_lan_broadcast" : true,	"folder_defaults.use_relay" : true,	"folder_defaults.use_tracker" : true,	"sync_trash_ttl" : 365,	"folder_defaults.known_hosts" : "",	"use_upnp" : false,	"webui" :	{		"directory_root" : "/iomega/btsync/daniel",		"listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",		"force_https" : true,		"ssl_certificate" : "/home/daniel/.sync/daniel.crt",		"ssl_private_key" : "/home/daniel/.sync/daniel.key"	}}

While at it, my systemd unit file (/etc/systemd/system/btsync@.service)

[Unit]Description=BitTorrent Sync for %i[Service]Type=simpleUser=%iExecStart=/opt/btsync/btsync --nodaemon --config /home/%i/.sync/sync.confWorkingDirectory=/home/%iRestart=always[Install]WantedBy=multi-user.target

As you can see from this setup, the configuration is expected in a user's home directory under .sync/sync.conf . This allows a per-user BTSync setup. Also, if the daemon fails for some reason (in the past it crashed every once in a while), it is automatically restarted.

I can restart the instance of user 'daniel' with:

sudo systemctl restart btsync@daniel.service

The service for this particular user can be started at every boot using:

sudo systemctl enable btsync@daniel.service

(The nice thing about this setup is that multiple persons can have a BTSync instance on one server, but everything is automatically started and monitored using systemd.)

It seems that some configuration file keys have changed, e.g.:

folder_defaults.use_dht

Run btsync directly to see the errors. Simply removing that configuration key worked for me.

Since the PPA seems to be abandoned indeed, maybe I should post my nice systemd multi-user BTSync configuration :).

So, tried running btsync directly and didn't get an error message at all... so the problem seems to be with the startup script.

I'll do a bit of digging over the weekend.

following such error message when you run on linux x64 is output.

ubuntu 12.04.3, if you use the start-stop-daemon. it is an error.

[18:35:49.985] assert failed /mnt/jenkins/workspace/Build-Sync-x64/btlog.cpp:272assert failed /mnt/jenkins/workspace/Build-Sync-x64/btlog.cpp:272 (33685504)
Edited by kometchtech

So, tried running btsync directly and didn't get an error message at all... so the problem seems to be with the startup script.

I'll do a bit of digging over the weekend.

Try to run it in --no-daemon mode this should print out all info on the command line

@RomanZ, thanks for the update, I'll go ahead and import the license on the other 3 computers.

I noticed that the email I received after purchasing came with a license file attached, but there was also a link in the email to download the license. After clicking the link in the email and downloading the file, I compared it to the license file that had been attached to the email. The contents were slightly different. I then tried clicking the link again to download another copy of the license file. Again the contents of the file were slightly different. Is it expected that downloading my license 3 times (twice from the link and once from the email itself) should result in 3 slightly different license files?

I only kept the one that was attached to the email, and used that on my primary computer. Presumably I should use that same file on the other 3 computers?

@eldrin

Managed to reproduce. Issue is that Sync FREE does not download files from MD folder - and license as well. We'll fix it, for now simply apply license to other peers manually.

While waiting for your answer about the differing license files, I haven't taken any manual action yet. But I see that a little while ago, all 3 of those FREE peers updated themselves to PRO status. How is this possible? How has this problem just resolved on its own without any changes to the client?

eldrin,

Replied in ticket referring to the 3 different keys. 

But I see that a little while ago, all 3 of those FREE peers updated themselves to PRO status. How is this possible? How has this problem just resolved on its own without any changes to the client?

magic :) 
actually it could take a while for the licences to get synced, perhaps it got stuck due to a reason. Didn't you even restart Sync on either of them? 

Yes, if you still have logs, please do send them to the support using the ticket you have opened about the license keys. 

@Helen, thanks, I received the reply to my ticket concerning the differences in the license files.

Concerning the propagation of the license to my other computers: As per my discussion with RomanZ there was a very long period of time (more than a day) where the license didn't propagate. Today RomanZ confirmed that a bug in the Free client causes it not to download the license. And it was only after RomanZ confirm this that I saw the remaining Free peers updates themselves somehow to Pro. So it seems strange to me that even though there's a confirmed bug where the Free clients don't automatically obtain the license, they somehow resolved the issue on their own, but only today.

The only action I had taken today was to add a single file to my only synced folder. Before that, for several weeks, there was no activity (i.e. no changes) to anything in my synced folder. So maybe adding this single file today spurred those remaining peers into action. Perhaps the test that you can do on your side is to check whether downloading of the license only happens when there is some other activity for the client to do, i.e. maybe the propagation of the license doesn't occur automatically in isolation.

• 1 month later...