Introducing Sync 2.2

Sync is a big idea providing a very simple solution: the ability to move large amounts of data directly and efficiently between devices without the public cloud. We’ve been evolving the initiative from the start, and the launch of Sync 2.0 was a major milestone: we moved from a beta product to a fully-featured release.

Today we are announcing the release of Sync 2.2. This version will offer a clearer delineation between personal users and business users. With 2.2, personal users are now able to purchase a non-subscription license for Sync Pro for $39.99. This license will unlock all of the Pro 2.2 product features. Existing personal users will be able to convert to this pricing model. Business accounts for Sync Pro will remain subscription based.

We also remain committed to offering a great free version of Sync. With 2.2 we are removing the 10 folder limit for the free version. We’re also providing the option to opt-in to the Pro trial so that new users of the free edition can try out the powerful Pro features.

We’ve made these updates based on the feedback we gathered from directly from user surveys, forums, and other channels. Sync is a product and a business in a constant state of iteration and your opinions are crucial as we evolve.

We continue to welcome constructive discussion in the forum around all aspects of the Sync business and thank you for your passion for our product. You’ve helped make Sync great and your continued input will help us continue to grow.

If you have any questions about 2.2, please check out our FAQ and blog post or feel free to post in this thread.

I just purchased the new perpetual license for Sync Pro. Why does the page that is displayed following purchase say things like '1 Year' and then underneath that 'Expires: January 1, 2038' ?

Product ID: Sync Pro 1 Year
Price: £29.99
Seats: 1
Order ID: [redacted]
Customer ID: [redacted]
Expires: January 1, 2038

@kos13

Clearly what I'm pointing out is that the web page that is displayed after purchasing is not appropriate for the purchase I made. Someone forgot to update the text to show the appropriate information for the new perpetual license.

On the other hand, the email that I received did have the correct details. The email contained this line for the Product ID instead:

Product ID: Sync Pro Individual License

I was expecting a reply saying "sorry, we goofed up, thanks for pointing this out, we'll get it fixed". But I guess I was expecting too much.

Although I was not a vocal opponent against the 2.0 licensing (I purchased a Pro subscription a couple of months ago), I would like to thank you for listening to your users and adding more options! The perpetual license fits my personal use better, so I switched to that and the procedure was flawless.

I think the license changes make it easier to promote BTSync among friends and colleagues.

Thanks again!

How often are these rules going to be adhered to?  Is there an X month guarantee with a purchased license? Or do the Terms of Service allow for changes at any time to agreements.  While I don't speak for everyone, I'm sure there's a large group of people who want to support good work by purchasing products, but will never ever subscribe to a service for various reasons. As time is the most valuable resource, I'm sure a lot has been lost by many here on both sides trying to find a good balance of plans to offer. I spent a great deal of time setting up Sync while in Beta, and leaving cloud syncing options. then a subscription model only was opted for. The upgrade not only enforced a folder limit, but resulted in actual data loss and quite a few broken syncs.  Then I spent a great deal of time fixing all broken syncing and returning everything back to Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive and getting everything running again. Now it appears a purchase option is offered. I'm sure most people who got burned on the previous updates are wary to jump into this offer, if it will just be abandoned and rendered obsolete in a few months.  Is there anyone who knows if this is a permanent-ish solution? I never have a problem paying for software when I get a new device, or upgrade OS, or similar.  It takes time and money to support newer Operating Systems and devices, and that should cost money. But just waking up one day to a notice that "we have decided your license no only supports 15 folders, and 2 devices now. You can keep your setup going for only $39.99 every week now!" seem possible at this point.

I will try to answer your questions and I hope that answer will address your concerns. You have two separate questions: one is related to the quality of software and another about Sync business model and its changes.

Sync quality. As you could see from change logs for every release the team spends significant effort to address issues that are found. It is a constant effort that involves not only developers, QA engineers and support team but also the community. As you could see from the forum people are using Sync in quite a variety of OS/machines/networks configuration. The help of Sync community is an important aspect for making Sync better. We listen to the community and respect everyone's input and efforts, without your help we wouldn't be where we are.

Sync business model. We made this decision based on what we've learned since launch. We may never make everyone happy. But we are working hard to build a business and make an awesome product. We'll continue to share in the forums and elsewhere as Sync continues to evolve. 

kos

Wait wait wait, did I understand this correctly if I get a lifetime license for 40 dollars? Yes this is a serious question, I just want to make sure before I make a purchase. If this is the case, that's super awesome and I'm very happy. 40 dollars for a year was a bit pricy, but for a lifetime license? That's just awesome.

Wait wait wait, did I understand this correctly if I get a lifetime license for 40 dollars? Yes this is a serious question, I just want to make sure before I make a purchase. If this is the case, that's super awesome and I'm very happy. 40 dollars for a year was a bit pricy, but for a lifetime license? That's just awesome.

Yes.

I have a quick question about the non-subscription license, i don't see an answer to this question anywhere, if there is you have my apologies.

How is the non-subscription license going to work when you guys move to 2.3 version? will it work only for 2.2x and i need to buy a new non-subscription license on 2.3 (or whatever major release you consider)?. 

hope my question makes sense.

I don't get it. Why do it like this?

To my knowledge the biggest issues were with the imposed 10 folder limit and subscription model you had to pay for to avoid the 10 folder limit.

Now you remove the 10 folder limit in the free version and introduce a lifetime license that gives you Selective Sync and Permission Changing. Also the license is only for 2.x -the ONLY reference I have found to that is in the post above and the FAQ regarding that is horribly worded. We also don't know if your major releases are on a yearly cycle or not - @PowerScissor was spot on with his post/questions.

I never got the impression that the Selective Sync or Permission Changing was as big a part of the argument in the 'broke a promise' thread as the 10 folder limit.

I just don't see the business sense in it. It seems like you would get a lot more purchasers if you had either required the pseudo-lifetime license to get > 10 folders OR it was truly an absolute lifetime license. For all I know I am in the minority but those two features aren't enough to sell me on 2.x yet.

Great news. shall definitely be looking to get a perpetual licence for sync.

quick question. do perpetual licenses work on older versions of sync? there are a couple of devices around my sync network that install sync via addons and these addons can be a little slow to be updated. think one of the nas devices I keep at my parents as an off site back up, hasn't been updated since 2.1 would my 2.2 identity / perpetual license work on this device?

cheers

I asked because on the devices in question sync is installed via addon packages which can be slow to be updated.

things like this. https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/bittorrentsync

i know sync can be installed via ssh / telnet but i don't know how. this is why I was wondering if a perpetual license would work on older versions. so I could use my perpetual license on my nas until an updated package is available

will keep an eye out for updated packages i guess.

another question. based on this extract from the faq

"Advanced (formerly known as 2.0) folders are available in Pro only and are designed for sharing and collaboration. Owners of advanced folders can change or revoke access at any time. Only an owner can share the folder, and the device that created the link must be online for a peer to connect."

is this for the first time only or everytime?

for example if device a owns a folder will devices b and c still sync that folder with each other if device a is offline assuming they have both connected to a previously. or will those devices not sync until device a is back online?

When Sync announced its previous business model, I decided to stay with 1.4, which continues to serve me well, thank you.  It wasn't just the cost that had me stay with 1.4.  It was the change in the way Sync worked, with many users saying the conversion was giving them fits.

I'm happy to buy a personal license, but it should be for a product I'll use. Is there a document along the lines of "Moving from 1.4 to 2.2"?  How many hoops will I have to jump through.  Ideally moving from 1.4 to 2.2 should be transparent to me.  I've gotten the sense (wrongly?) that it's anything but!

Thanks!

I created an account just now to say thank you.

After the first 2.0 release you all took so much flak.  I myself was on the fence and had an eye out for alternatives, though I never found another solution that worked to my satisfaction.  But you guys actually listened!  I'll be looking into getting all my systems updated to 2.2 this weekend, and if everything works smoothly I will happily pay for the one time license to support your hard work and to thank you for listening.

When Sync announced its previous business model, I decided to stay with 1.4, which continues to serve me well, thank you.  It wasn't just the cost that had me stay with 1.4.  It was the change in the way Sync worked, with many users saying the conversion was giving them fits.

I'm happy to buy a personal license, but it should be for a product I'll use. Is there a document along the lines of "Moving from 1.4 to 2.2"?  How many hoops will I have to jump through.  Ideally moving from 1.4 to 2.2 should be transparent to me.  I've gotten the sense (wrongly?) that it's anything but!

Thanks!

If it's working fine, I would stick with it.  When I upgraded to 2.x I was met with disaster. Had the transition went smoothly I would have become a paying customer for sure.  I ran into new files I updated on my phone getting replaced with older versions on my desktop resulting in massive amounts of lost work, and a few months of work pictures I took for documentation lost.

I'm sure those kinks are probably worked out now, but why risk something that's working for you? I might take the time to give BitTorrent Sync another try down the road when they have committed to a business model and bugs are no longer introduced with updates.  Seeing as how I was dealing with a "Beta", all those things were to be expected I guess.