Sync Seems To Happen Slowly...

lekjaz

I'm a new user of Sync so please bear with me. We're synching two drives on two different LANs via the Internet. The sync happens beautifully, when it gets around to it. It seems to take a long time for the Bittorrent client to actually start synching once a drive gets updated.

One would think that the sync would be fairly instantaneous from the point when a drive changes, but it's not. The client can sit there for many minutes before it decides to start the sync. First it starts indexing, then it it might change to "Out of Synch" for a while - sometimes a long while. Then eventually it will start the sync. Sometimes the status changes to "peer offline" even though nothing with the peers has changed. Sometimes the sync stops and the status goes back to "Out of Sync" The computers aren't going to sleep nor are they changing IP addresses or anything. Assuming nothing bad happens like a power outage, the peer availability issue usually self resolves.

So is there a way to make that sync happen more instantaneously?

I just turned on debug logging so I've got no data to post there. Our setup is pretty straight forward. We're synching two 4TB drives with about 7 GB of data. The Bittorrent Sync client is running on a PC with Windows 7 in one location, and on a newer PC with Windows 8 in the other location. The drives are actually attached to routers via ethernet in each location so files can be served across internal LANs in both places. Internet connectivity is cable internet with decent up/down speeds. We're running version 1.4.111 in both locations. Both PCs are set to never sleep.

Edited by lekjaz

The Bittorrent Sync client is running on a PC with Windows 7 in one location, and on a newer PC with Windows 8 in the other location.

... We're running version 1.4.111 in both locations.

Have you tried updating to 2.2? 1.4.111 is no longer in active development, and the 2.x branch contains numerous performance improvements, new features, and fixes over 1.4.x.