Use The Same Folder On Multiplie Devices.

Rockyfelle

Hello, to maximize my sync ability of a project folder I have it on my usb at all times, however, since there are times I do not have access to it, I also have it to sync to devices (such as my phone) from my usb as a base.

The problem come when I plug in my usb in another computer than my main one, change a file on my phone, and expect it to change on the usb, this doesn't do anything, the only way I can make this work is to reset the folder's owership and this is not optimal to be done every single time I switch computers.

tl;dr Allow more than one device to sync a specific folder without have to reset folder's ownership every time.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I didn't find any bumping rules about this, but is this entire program abandoned? This sub-forum rarely gets new posts, and still this topic has gotten 8K views with not a single reply from a developer to say neither "We'll look into it" nor "No".

I simply want the developers to pay attention to their own forum so that I, as one of the few people who actually requested something, can know wether I need to find another program or if this will be implemented.

Thanks for you time.

Well I didn't find any bumping rules about this

Bumping your own topics is not appropriate in the Feature Request sub-forum - it won't get your suggestion for a feature/improvement implemented any sooner.

is this entire program abandoned?

A quick glance over the Sync forums will demonstrate that Sync is far from "abandoned" - it is in active development (in fact, a new update was released less than two weeks ago!)

This sub-forum rarely gets new posts

Again, a quick glance over this forum will show that this isn't the case. This is a very active sub-forum, however, do however "merge" similar/identical threads on the same theme into single threads i.e. 1 thread = 1 suggestion

this topic has gotten 8K views with not a single reply from a developer to say neither "We'll look into it" nor "No".

Developers do frequent these forums, and do keep tabs on the ideas/suggestions posted within the Feature Request forum, and their respective popularity.

Just because a thread doesn't have response from a developer doesn't mean it's not been noticed or is being ignored! Do search this forum for the phrase "Now Implemented", and you'll see that plenty of user-contributed suggestions have gone on to be implemented within Sync.

Hello, to maximize my sync ability of a project folder I have it on my usb at all times, however, since there are times I do not have access to it, I also have it to sync to devices (such as my phone) from my usb as a base.

The problem come when I plug in my usb in another computer than my main one, change a file on my phone, and expect it to change on the usb, this doesn't do anything, the only way I can make this work is to reset the folder's owership and this is not optimal to be done every single time I switch computers.

tl;dr Allow more than one device to sync a specific folder without have to reset folder's ownership every time.

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to do that with the current BitTorrent Sync version: you need to create a new sync folder using the path from USB device on one pc, copy RW folder key and enter it on another pc with selecting the same folder from USB device(if it asks to reset ownership just click yes).

After that if u plug the USB to any of these 2 PCs btsync will automatically detect the folder and sync it.

BUT I do not recommend to use this way, BitTorrent Sync stores information about files locally and adding the same physical folder to several instances of BitTorrent Sync could make synchronisation issues in some cases. This pattern was not tested in our lab at all.

More correct approach is to create a separate folders on each device and sync it.