Performance Issues Indexing And Transferring (Lots Of Files)

enki

Hello,

I've been using BT Sync since 1.4, I like the concept and what it does, the only issues I'm having are its performance. (I'm using Win 7 and BT Sync 2.2.2 on both machines I'm syncing btw).

Start-up & Indexing

1. I have a directory of around 23 Gb, 665,000 files. On initial start of BT sync, the indexing process takes a looong time to initialize before any changed files are identified an transferred. Is this a normal consequence of having a lot of small files? The directory is growing larger so this problem is only going to get worse. Are there any proposed changes on the horizon which aim to improve this? 

2. The initial "Loading" on start-up takes a long time.

3. The peer list info is confusing during indexing, it says that all 665K files are to be sent (corrects itself once indexing is complete).

LAN transfer

4. I am only syncing across machines on my local network, yet my transfer speed is pretty poor. Sometimes only a few kb. Often it is a lot of small files but still, I'd expected slightly better. I have done the following already:
  • Enabled "Search LAN"
  • Enabled "Use Predefined Hosts" on the sync folders on both machines and added each other's local IP address and "listening port" number
  • Set "disk_low_priority" to false in advanced settings
  • Set "lan_encrypt_data" to false in advanced settings

Any info and tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

enki, I will try to answer your question by order.

When you first add a folder, Sync needs to index it to decide if files should be transferred or not.

Sync uses about 1Kb for each entry in database and you can also check disk reading speed in the task manager. If it is 100% Sync won't be able to index files faster. Do you have SSD or just HDD drive?

Until files indexed Sync doesn't know if they already exist on another peers.

Regarding transfer speed, you can try change buffer size parameters and check disk read speed again. If it is 100% Sync won't be able to read some files then cannot transfer files with good speed. If it is not 100% you can contact us via this form and send speed profile, which you can collect according to this instruction.