[Solved] Raspberry Pi Deb Silently Fails

nellie4568

I have a raspberry pi where I'm attempting to install btsync using the official deb package from here

I downloaded the deb using wget.

Ran as 

sudo dpkg -i http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/2.2.2/bittorrent-sync-pi-server_2.2.2_armhf.deb

Package appears to install but the btsync service start silently fails. When I run 'service btsync status' I get 'btsync for USER pi: not running'.

When I try and start it via command line with either 'service btsync start' or 'sudo service btsync start' it tries to start but silently fails. Status once again reveals 'btsync for USER pi: not running'.

Any ideas of what could be going wrong here?

While I have no idea how to solve this, maybe my setup will work for you, too:

Download the ARM build for sync (from the website, not as deb). Extract the executable to a folder of your choice.

For me that is /home/pi/programs/sync/btsync.

Then install the program "gnome-schedule" which is a nice interface to schedule cronjobs.

Start gnome schedule and run this command at reboot:

./path-to-executable

The ./ is important.

This will run the executable at system startup. It works reliably for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the exact same result from the official 2.2.2 .deb package on a new Pi2 with the 9/24/15 Raspbian image. I couldn't find anything helpful in the logs either. I ended-up removing the package.

I found a solution. I downloaded the ARM version of BTSync (2.2.5) and I used this installation tutorial as an outline:

http://www.klaverstyn.com.au/david/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Bittorrent_Sync_%28btSync%29_on_the_Raspberry_Pi

I changed a few things. For example, the listening port. Bittorrent Sync is working now and seems stable after 4-5 days. I did freeze Raspbian once doing a config. change with "service btsync restart". Instead, stop followed by start seems to work fine.