[Raspberry Pi] Automated Installation/update And Management Script

Moe

Yes BitTorrent Sync will automatically restart after power failure / when device boots.

There is an open issue with Raspbian Jessie and automatically starting sync.. I will fix it probably next week or so but don't pin me down on it.

OR you can wait like.. two more weeks and then there will be some other news. That is probably best: wait two weeks with your project and check the forum periodically.

So the news it out you guys! There is an official repository from the crew at BitTorrent Inc. ! YAY

You can definitely check out what they have written up on the blog post here https://blog.getsync.com/2016/02/18/official-linux-packages-for-sync-now-available/

So what does that mean for the my little project? I will definitely will keep it up and maintain it. Though I will advise people to use the official repository, not just because of support cases but also just for standardization etc.

Right now if there is a newer version than there is via auto-update you won't be able to install it using the official repository. With the script, you can just pass the link Roman or any other person is posting for the latest version (which is not always available via the website getsync.com or the update function in BitTorrent Sync itself) and install said version. If you want to run the very latest version and be on the edge of things you can do that with my script.

All that requires me re-writing some things especially now that I will be supporting systemd and the old service.

I'll keep you posted :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/18/2016 at 9:24 AM, Moe said:

So the news it out you guys! There is an official repository from the crew at BitTorrent Inc. ! YAY

You can definitely check out what they have written up on the blog post here https://blog.getsync.com/2016/02/18/official-linux-packages-for-sync-now-available/

So what does that mean for the my little project? I will definitely will keep it up and maintain it. Though I will advise people to use the official repository, not just because of support cases but also just for standardization etc.

Right now if there is a newer version than there is via auto-update you won't be able to install it using the official repository. With the script, you can just pass the link Roman or any other person is posting for the latest version (which is not always available via the website getsync.com or the update function in BitTorrent Sync itself) and install said version. If you want to run the very latest version and be on the edge of things you can do that with my script.

All that requires me re-writing some things especially now that I will be supporting systemd and the old service.

I'll keep you posted :)

Hey Moe,

Trying to shift over to the official repository after some time and I'm running into some issues moving away from your script. Any chance you can help me out? I deleted all of the files and directories listed in your remove command and set up the repository per the instructions from the blog post you linked, but installing results in the error shown in the image below. I'm trying to hunt down where the bittorrent-sync-pi-sewver 2.2.2 directory might be, but cannot find it...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Untitled.png

On 22.8.2016 at 6:18 AM, jake.sadie said:

womp - problem solved. got rid of that outdated package that came from before I installed using your script. all better!

Ok glad you got it solved. So it was not my script that caused it, right? Would be weird if it was.

Probably tuxpuldo's repo or something.. :)