[Solved] Android Tv With External Usbdisk Is Able To Backup Data But Not Add A Folder

joeyvandijk

When I have an Android TV (yes, I know not supported but still fully running) I found out that I can backup a folder on an external usbdisk connected to my Android TV, but I cannot add a normal folder from that same external usbdisk. Why is that different? It sounds to me that the file permissions are not the problem, right?

I want to have the option to create a folder (from a read/write-key) in that external usbdisk (/storage/usbdisk/media for example). Why? Simple, because I can have my NAS or pc as a source and sync it always with my Android TV without any interaction by me.

Due to limitations of Android 5.x or app-limitations (?) I cannot automatically move files from /sdcard (main volume) to /storage/usbdisk while I can backup /storage/usbdisk/media in Bittorrent Sync which implies that it should be possible to do, right?

Hope anyone has tips or solutions...and maybe news of upcoming version (that can be sideloaded on Android TV ;) ).

Thnx!

:)

Edited by joeyvandijk

Thanks @helen, but I see on the Android TV that Android OS limits the write-access to this disk.

So I have an USB-drive to my Android TV and wanted to create /storage/usbdrive/media folder but it is not allowed. Even when I use ES File Explorer Bittorrent Sync (after the update) still notifies me about the write-access-limit.

So the beta is maybe helping with external sd-cards but not with usbdrives as external disks. "Android OS" part in the notification is also something that maybe limits this goal. Even so the workaround from @RomanZ did help so I can use it on my Nvidia Shield TV but Photos & Video app (default app) will not recognise my content in /storage/usbdrive/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync

FYI

So I have an USB-drive to my Android TV and wanted to create /storage/usbdrive/media folder but it is not allowed. Even when I use ES File Explorer Bittorrent Sync (after the update) still notifies me about the write-access-limit.

So when you try to create the folder in Sync on the usb drive, you get "Android OS restricts access...." . If you wish to debug, can you please write to support  and send a screenshot of what you get when picking to "change location". I assume Sync still got the old folder picker.

...but Photos & Video app (default app) will not recognise my content in /storage/usbdrive/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync

Check and make sure that there is no file .nomedia in the folder.