Android External Sd Card

nat101

In the ancient days of Android, I  used to root my devices. 

But these days (After Android 5) it's not worth the hassle for me, since AT&T stops updating the os once the device is rooted.

Anyhow, I have other apps on my device that alert you of this Android restriction, then a security dialog pops up and asks me to confirm that I allow the app write access to external sd card, and everything works fine.

Hope to see this in bt sync soon.

nat

If you root your device you can gain read/write access to your sd card buy installing and running this app. 

That brings huge security issues with it. Before ANYONE is doing that, educate yourself on the internet what that actually means! It is easy to just click yes yes yes continues agree install on an app but actually knowing what that means is something else.

Same goes for iOS jailbreaks.

That brings huge security issues with it. Before ANYONE is doing that, educate yourself on the internet what that actually means! It is easy to just click yes yes yes continues agree install on an app but actually knowing what that means is something else.

Same goes for iOS jailbreaks.

Indeed. Moreover, rooting will disable some functionality, like Android Pay.

The good news is that Android 6.0 allows you to adopt an SD card as internal storage:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/android-6-0-marshmallow-thoroughly-reviewed/7/

The bad news is that it will probably take a few years before a substantial part of the Android population is on 6.0 :/. (Currently 0.5% and counting...)

I have a Samsung S5 on Verizon (SM-G900V Android 5.0, build G900VVRU2BOG5).  I sync to my external SD card via the path /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync/files/music/

That folder is allowed by Android with BitTorrent Sync, however the built in music player doesn't see the folder.

I get around that by using "Music Folder Player" found in the play store.  It allows you to set custom folders.  The best thing about it is that is saves your location within an MP3 after rebooting the phone or switching between folders (music / podcast).  I use it exclusively  and the setup with Sync works great!

nat101,

no, unfortunately. this is under investigation yet. Sync already tries to set the correct mtime on files. 

gmatth, 

make sure that there is no .nomedia file. Also, the problem might be in inbuilt player not having access to /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync/files/music/, or if media scanner was not triggered. You can try rebooting the device and see if hte player gets the music. or try any media scanner app in the store.