Serated Speed

abrise

I am using bittorrent sync pro last version.

I am getting saw-tooth type of speed when I am synchronizing computers that are far away.

The speed is going slowly form 0 to the maximum upload speed of 10mb/s, stay there for 0 to a few seconds then dips to 0 and is up slowly again. 

The two computers are 11000 kms away. Ping time is around 260-300ms; files are 2 to 6GB.

When I synchronise computers within the same country I have a steady 10mb/s. So one could  believe the reason is the distance but when I use Filezilla to download files I have a stable 10mb/s. 

I have been trying to change the size of the buffers , small or big it doesn't affect the shape. 

This is not new and happen since the beginning 3 years ago. 

Can anybody explain what is happening ?

Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed?

Take a look at this please TCP vs. UDP if you see slow speeds that gradually build up over time and then drop back to 0 - that is kind of how it works. Remember back in the 90' when a download of a file was slow at the start and then fast at the end - that could be that.

Also if your peers are so far away from each other there are other things that can interfere with it - things like peering for example.

If your ping is 260-300ms it could be that packets are being dropped on the way and you have to re-send that piece of the file again.

Resulting in overall slower transfer speeds.

For improving speed there is this help article: http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1902072

It also makes a difference what folder type you have - advanced or standard folders. See this article http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1904611