Reset Webui Password, Deleting Settings.dat And Settings.dat.old Didn't Work

P.D.

Hi,

I followed the instructions to reset the webui password, but it didn't work.  I tried to follow the instructions found here:

http://help.getsync.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1979805-how-do-i-reset-my-webui-password-?b_id=3895

The instructions don't appear to be correct.  I found a hidden .sync folder, but it didn't contain the settings files.  I found the settings files in the user/app data/roaming/bittorrent sync folder and deleted them, but running the client still asks for username and password.

P.D., usually WebUI is used on linux, although it is available on Windows.

%appdata%\BitTorrent Sync folder is the storage folder for Windows version while .sync folder used on Linux version.

Thank you for reporting about it, we'll improve that article to be more clear.

You can try clearing cookies and cache for localhost and 127.0.0.1 addresses in your browser and try opening WebUI page again. Also have you closed Sync before deleting settings.dat and settings.dat.old files?

• 1 month later...

I have been following along to this as well as a new user. Can anyone please tell me what the password is for? Everything is working with Sync on Ubuntu for me, never have to enter password. If I go to the Login screen (in Preferences) the username field is pre-filled with "admin" and I do not know the current password - is there a default login / password? As P.D. said, there are no settings.dat and settings.dat.old files in the .sync folders.

Screenshot from 2016-02-20 16:53:23.png

6 hours ago, Brenneke said:

I have been following along to this as well as a new user. Can anyone please tell me what the password is for? Everything is working with Sync on Ubuntu for me, never have to enter password.

It's for logging on to the web interface. When there are multiple users on a machine or when you bind the web UI to some 'external' interface (so, not the loopback interface), you'll definitely want it for security.

Thank you. I definitely want it but apparently can't have it! Do you know if there is a default password for the program that goes with the default admin user name? Posted wrong screenshot in my previous post. Please also  see contents of .sync folder with hidden files shown - there are no there are no settings.dat and settings.dat.old files.

Login Screenshot from 2016-02-21 07:42:23.png

Screenshot from 2016-02-21 07:46:36.png

Brenneke, to activate password feature you need to input any user name and password there (your first screenshot).

settings.dat file is located in the storage folder. It is not Sync folder located inside your shared folder. That folder is located near btsync binary file or somewhere else if you use config file. This command will help you locating storage folder location:

find / -name settings.dat.old |grep settings.dat.old

Found the files in /var/lib/btsyc, deleted them and went back to staring at the same screen on the login tab of preference thinking "what am I missing?" Turns out that one has to enter one's new chosen User name and passwords, IGNORING the Current password field. Was getting tripped up trying to enter a current password that I thought I had set somewhere in the install process of Sync. Thank you.