Will Btsync Work When Filesharing Protocols/ports Are Blocked?

Well that completely depends on what exactly is blocked in your network. :-)

If you're facing a restrictive firewall that does layer 7 packet inspection then BitTorrent Sync could definitely not work.

My student housing is behind such a firewall and there I can only sync with my servers via OpenVPN.

Just try it out.

Well the thing is ... I am traveling a lot. So my idea was to have all my data in the cloud and sync to my laptop and android whenever I need something. However, from experience, many places (Hotels etc) block filesharing protocols to keep people from downloading illegal content. I cannot test this before I go to a place and asking hotels about their firewall settings before booking also might not work out haha

So I am kinda afraid I will be stuck with a non working sync setup in many places worldwide ..

@worldtravelgeek

It indeed hardly depends on what exactly is blocked. For example, if you block all outgoing connections excepts HTTP/HTTPS/DNS - Sync will need a very tricky configuration to bypass it. Also, smart firewalls are able to identify Sync's traffic as "torrent" traffic and block it as well.

Although, if outgoing connections are allowed and you have at least one peer in Internet that is capable to accept incoming connections (with public IP, or, behind a router with UPnP support) - you are fine.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to bring this up again to see if there are any ways to deal with this.  

I teach at a college and about a month ago they updated their networks to control traffic better... blocking all peer sharing ports, including Resilio.  I have talked to them and verified that it is indeed being blocked (for sure outbound, likely inbound as well) and they are unwilling to make an exception even for my specific computer on the network.  Clearly problematic for my workflow as I have been using Sync for years now.  I am a fairly advanced user, but not at the level of really digging into network settings and all of that kind of stuff so am hoping there is a way I can still connect my work computers.  I can physically wire both the desktop and the laptop to the network, but the recommendations for LAN connections still don't seem to help.  I am hoping worst case that I can connect the desktop to the laptop and them a few times per week take the laptop home to update those computers.  

Any recommendations?