Encrypted Folder on Cloud Service ( i.e. OneDrive)

Neinstein

Hi

I wanted to setup an encrypted folder inside a cloud service such as OneDrive or Dropbox but it's not working as anticipated. This is what I did:

- Created a new encrypted folder from within BTSync (2.3.1), located inside my local OneDrive Folder that is synched to the cloud

- Added a few sample files

- I expected to have unencrypted access from my desktop pc but having the folder encrypted in the cloud

- Accessed my OneDrive folder in the cloud from my laptop (via Web Browser)

- Files are accessible unencrypted

Looks like since OneDrive has unencrypted R/W access on my PC, it transfers all files within the folder unencrypted.

Any suggestions how to setup such an encrypted backup folder inside a cloud service?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Neinstein said:

- Created a new encrypted folder from within BTSync (2.3.1), located inside my local OneDrive Folder that is synched to the cloud

- Added a few sample files

- I expected to have unencrypted access from my desktop pc but having the folder encrypted in the cloud

BittorrentSync encrypted folders do not work like encfs or BoxCryptor folders. On the machine where you create the folder, it acts as a normal unencrypted Bittorrent Sync folder. However, it has the option to get a encrypted read-only key. This key can be used on other peers, such that they participate in the swarm, but cannot read the actual data.

Any suggestions how to setup such an encrypted backup folder inside a cloud service?

No, because that is not how encrypted folders should be used. I think you are looking for encfs, Boxcryptor or TrueCrypt (or its offspring).

The typical way to use encrypted folders is to install Bittorrent Sync on a new machine (e.g. a virtual private server in the cloud) and adding the read-only encrypted key there. Now this machine can provide data to other BTSync peers, but cannot read the data itself.

@iswrong

Thanks for your reply. That's the answer I was expecting, but hoping for another solution. I used Boxcryptor in the past but it's another step I try to avoid. I'm currently using MEGA and trusting them with the encryption but with a constant uneasy feeling because it's out of my control.

I also used cloud services that are running BTSync with the encrypted R/O key but all the low cost ones went out of business and the ones still around are too costly for our small volume of active on-site backup data (<20GB). This is really the most elegant solution.

If you can set up a Linux system, setting up a virtual private server may be worth it. I have a blog post explaining the BTSync-specific configuration:

https://danieldk.eu/Posts/2015-10-18-erp.html

Since then, I have moved the VPS to Vultr, which gives you 125GB disk space for $5 per month or 250GB for $10. The nice thing is that you then have it under your own control. And once you've set up a nice solution, it's also easy to add more nodes, move to another VPS company, etc.

(I still have the sincere hope that bittorrent.com will offer cloud peer plans in the future ;).)