automatic pause / resume

arin

On 6/2/2016 at 8:39 PM, GreatMarko said:

Yes, you can right-click on the system tray icon and select Pause/Resume Syncing - this will affect all folders, so you don't need to pause/resume them each individually

I'm testing Sync to verify if it covers my needs.

I have a folder whose files are modified many and many and many times in a day. So I do not want a continuous synchronization that wastes or saturates my bandwith in vain. I need a scheduled synchronization that, for example, send all the modified files to a remote device during the night, or once a day.

Right clicking on the system tray two times every day is not functioning. I thought it was possible to run a command as "sync /pause all" or "sync /resume all" (or "sync /pause myfolder" if I'd want to pause the synchronization for a single folder) and configure it as a scheduled task in windows control panel... or any other workaround which makes such operation automatic.

Edited by arin

6 hours ago, RomanZ said:

@arin If you are using latest Sync - there is a new "Power user" preference which might help you: enable_file_system_notifications. You can disable it and then Sync will only synchronize every folder_rescan_interval - which you can set to (say) 1 day.

Nice. I will try it.

Depending on whats most important, completing the sync or keep the timewindow, you could also install sync as  service and setup a scheduled task for it with desired properties. like running it each night for 4 hours then stop it. if files are larger, completeness is important or you need access to Sync outside that timeframe RomanZ advice is more suitable..

• 5 months later...

@RomanZ I've followed your advice here to get btsync rescan every 30 minutes, but it's still syncing in real time.  I set the preferences as follows:

folder_rescan_interval:   1800

enable_file_system_notifications:   false

Am I missing something?  I'd like btsync to update only every 30 minutes on my cloud device to relieve some bandwidth when I'm working.  Thanks.

I've just rechecked and it worked as expected. So in your case: 

1) either settings were not saved  or even configured - make sure you changed it on each peer where you edit files, and restarted Sync after that. After restart, re-check that it's the way you've set.

2) pretty much unlikely but possible that you updated files right before or during rescan. 

Can you send the logs to us ? we'll see from there how Sync learned about file update. Thank you. Mention this forum post and file name.