Local Folder Encryption

nunu

Hi,

Could it be possible to add the possiblity to encrypt a local sync folder throught the sync application (windows/linux/mac/android).

All is protected thanks to encryption for transfer and untrusted node, but finally if we really want to have a end to end 100% secure, synced files need to be encrypted too on the hard drive (possibility to make the directory encrypted or not and possibility to change rules. Possibility to force all peers to have data encrypted on their local drive etc...)

Synchronization should work if the directory is uncrypted or crypted.

In fact it is to be protected against theft or to keep confidentialty.

Regards, and thanks for the good work.

nunu

7 hours ago, nunu said:

Synchronization should work if the directory is uncrypted or crypted.

Personally, I am all in for the UNIX mantra 'do one job and do it well'. Local encryption is better served by another tool. If your worry is theft, use full-disk encryption on your devices. If you only want to encrypt specific directories, use the latest encfs or something like Boxcryptor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been testing Boxcryptor, which fits the bill nicely. I've previously used it with Dropbox and other solutions, and it works well enough with Sync as well. I use Boxcryptor Classic, which creates a virtual drive, encrypts the files and stores them on your normal filesystem. Since they're seen as encrypted files, everything filesystem level "just works", while applications use the virtual drive and sees unencrypted files as normal files too.

In the context of Sync, you synchronize the encrypted .bc folder. 

The only catch is that Selective Sync doesn't work (or at least, would be very painful to manage, as you'd have to manage the files from one place, and use them from another)