Windows service: HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

Brad@IO

I've just worked out how to get 2.3.1 to run as a service (update doesn't offer option, need to download the full install package and install over the top to get the service install option - might be worth mentioning this somewhere obvious as I googled and searched these forums without success).

So now it's running as a service but I can't access the webUI at all.  http://127.0.0.1:8888/gui/ just produces a 404 error.

I don't have any config file that would change ports etc, so what do I do now to see what's syncing?

On 10/02/2016 at 6:53 PM, Brad@IO said:

(update doesn't offer option, need to download the full install package and install over the top to get the service install option - might be worth mentioning this somewhere obvious as I googled and searched these forums without success).

2.3.1 hasn't yet been pushed via auto-update - it is however available for update via the "Check Now" update link in the Preferences dialog, or you can - as you've done - download a full installer from getsync.com. This is all outlined in the pinned "Latest Desktop Build..." thread.

So now it's running as a service but I can't access the webUI at all.  http://127.0.0.1:8888/gui/ just produces a 404 error.

It's likely that you have another web service already running/listening on port 8888.

I don't have any config file that would change ports etc, so what do I do now to see what's syncing?

You'll need to place a config file specifying a different WebUI listening port, in your %appdata%/BitTorrent Sync Service folder. This should be named "sync.conf" and contain the following:

{
"webui" :
    {
    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888"
    }
}

- change "8888" to a port that's not in use (the 0.0.0.0 ip means sync will accept connections to the WebUI from any IP)

Then restart your Sync service

I've now got a file called sync.conf (attached) in %appdata%/BitTorrent Sync Service folder.

It contains:

"webui" :
{
    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:33333"
}

You can see from the attached screengrab BTsync is NOT using the port specified  (BTW there is nothing else using 33333)

( 4th column Local Port, 5th Local IP)

None of the other IP addresses or ports that BTSYNC is using allow me to reach the webUI...

So, here's where I get confused...

%appdata% is for individual USER information and the point of a windows service is usually that it runs regardless of which USER or no USER is actually logged on - it's using the Local System login (ie NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM). 

In this situation, normally the config file would be located in %programdata%/BitTorrent Sync Service.  Why is this not the case with BTsync?

I have tried both locations of the config file with no effect.

I've also tried to have the service run with my login, but get a services error - "Error 1: Incorrect function" (see attached).

I've also tried to manually add /config sync.conf to start parameters for the service but with no luck.

I would suggest again to create a single clear and comprehensive article on how to install and configure the BTSYNC WINDOWS SERVICE option - including running in configuration mode etc.

This article should clearly delineate how the setup or configuration differs from the "classic" BTSYNC approach.

At the moment, queries are being answered in separate forum threads with links to http://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/204762689-Running-Sync-in-configuration-mode as reference for running in config mode...except the key point (4 - below) about how to start BTSYNC in config mode does not work with programs running as services.

4. Open Command Line Interface and execute the following command:
btsync.exe /config btsync.conf

It would be really helpful to have clarity on what log on settings are required in the service properties, where the config file should be located for those situations etc as I've tried many variants based on mixing instructions from several forum posts and articles, but none of them work.

Thanks.

btsync_ports.jpg

sync.conf

BTsync_services_error.jpg

Edited by Brad@IO
clairfy data in image attachment

Brad@IO, 

Error 1: Incorrect function is caused by incorrect config. 

your config is invalid json format. it has *only*  "webui" :{ "listen" : "0.0.0.0:33333"} ! Add {} at the beginning and the end: 

{  
   "webui":{  
      "listen":"0.0.0.0:33333"
   }
}

As for user name under who you run service. 

Well, on first install of service system asks you what user you want to launch it under. It's here where you can say SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, Local System etc, depending on what you need to achieve, that will not require a user's login.