Latest Desktop build 2.3.3

RomanZ

I figured out what was happening. I did an install on a new PC and it worked fine, then it dawned on me that the failed installs were on PCs with 1.3.109, which was still working almost flawlessly (an occasional name.conflict file was all I had to complain about).

I forgot you suggested to remove the old version, so I was installing over it. I guess you should change my 'advanced member' title to 'Mr. Moron'.

I did another PC just now with 1.3.109 and the same thing happened, no icon or program after the first install, so I installed a second time and it came up.

Do you still need my log files?

I bought a pro license but have not installed it yet because Sync does everything I need.

Have you guys considered a VPN product? You already have the tunnel part done.

• RomanZ unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, RomanZ said:
  1. 2 hours ago, RomanZ said:

@carloxp The issue with all folders disappearing in 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 was already addressed in 2.3.4 (which is on the way).
    For the amount of files - I'm asking as amount of memory consumed by Sync is proportional to amount of files and folders it manages. It takes around 1.5 Kb of memory per file. So, the 100K of files and folders will force Sync to allocate around 150Mb of memory. So this info can give a hint if memory consumption is adequate or something is going wrong.

@carloxp

Hi RomanZ. I counted the files. Surprisingly, I found 536,233 in total in my shared folders. I also found 1 single directory having 265,010 files.

This may affect my NAS memory consumption (and CPU)?

Thank you

10 hours ago, RomanZ said:

@kamborio

1. When installing, try use the "LOCAL SERVICE" account. Should work fine.
  2. I'm attaching simple sync.conf file. Don't change the filename, just drop it to your storage folder:
    for LOCAL SERVICE account: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync Service\
    for SYSTEM account: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync Service\
    Then restart the service. It'll listen to all available interfaces. Adding the ,"force_https": true to the config file in "webui" section will also enforce https, although it does not work on windows due to known issue (already fixed, will be available in 2.3.4)
  3. (And 4) Its not a debugging turned on, neither memory leak. I suspect it is bound to new flow of things in Sync core. There was an couple of issues addressed regarding mem and CPU usage in upcoming 2.3.4, although I'll be more than happy to peek into your debug logs to see if this is something we already fixed or that is something new.

1. When installing I have never seen the option to select "LOCAL SERVICE". It asks for username and password.

2. I'll give it a try

3. (and 4) Oh yes there is a memory leak somewhere. I got some servers starting with memory usage at 3.5 GB and then slowly using more memory until I have to restart the service, Ir particularly happens with servers with high number of files and frequent updates from peers. I will post a screenshot on a different post where you mentioned something about 1.5k RAM per file.

5 hours ago, RomanZ said:

@carloxp The issue with all folders disappearing in 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 was already addressed in 2.3.4 (which is on the way).
For the amount of files - I'm asking as amount of memory consumed by Sync is proportional to amount of files and folders it manages. It takes around 1.5 Kb of memory per file. So, the 100K of files and folders will force Sync to allocate around 150Mb of memory. So this info can give a hint if memory consumption is adequate or something is going wrong.

That particular instance has 1,640,556 files and 7,263 folders.

According to your numbers it should use around 2,403 MB RAM but it was using 4,941 MB when I got the alert for low memory.

I restarted the service and it is currently using 2,636 MB (it has been running 4 hours).

So yes, I think that version 2.3.3 has a memory leak.

I will test 2.3.4 on the offending machines and I will let you know.

Screenshot_20160316-145328.png

25 minutes ago, kamborio said:

That particular instance has 1,640,556 files and 7,263 folders.

According to your numbers it should use around 2,403 MB RAM but it was using 4,941 MB when I got the alert for low memory.

Have you added your folders to Sync as Standard/Advanced folders, or as Encrypted folders? - if it's the latter, this would explain the "double" memory usage!

For folders added as "Encrypted Folders", Sync keeps 2 trees in memory - one encrypted and one unencrypted (so it takes twice as much memory)

On 17/03/2016 at 9:30 AM, RomanZ said:

@kamborio Try 2.3.4. There was indeed memleak so it may help you. For the #2 - installer prompts for the name of user to run under. Type in  "LOCAL SERVICE", leave pass empty.

Thanks for confirming. I had some screenshots to prove my point but if you agree there was one I'll save my time.

I have upgraded 1 machine to 2.3.5 today, more to follow. I will keep you posted.

The machine I upgraded was a dual core with high CPU usage, it seems to have improved.

I did try the "LOCAL SERVICE" approach and it works. Once you know it easy to use but I think you should use a similar approach to SQL Server install that makes it easy to choose which account to use.

16lmsld.jpg