Sync Windows users folders

aaronk

I had the idea of backing up my entire user (Aaron)  on windows 10. This would back up my desktop or my documents or pictures folders and so on.  There are folders that were included that I didn't want, specifically Appdata.  I did some research and came across the ignorelist in the .sync file.  I have made some attempts and have made some progress.  My questions are as follows. 

What is the syntax to prevent a entire subfolder from syncing? 

Will btsync  always continue to index all folders? 

Also

Is it common for the Btsync Service to use processing power continuously? 

aaronk,

IgnoreList syntax is here

No. if you see constant 'indexing', it means that some of the files are currently not available for Sync, or change too often so Sync has to re-index them. this is especially the case if your Appdata is still not ignored. 

No, but may be cause caused by indexing. Please double check the files. If the problem remains - can you please share any details about using processing power continuously? 

I used that syntax link and I was getting mixed results.   I created five folders for the single file a single folder in each and try a different method to prevent each one from syncing.  I got mixed results based on the ways that I tested (I'll post my results.)  Also when I tried to implement the partially successful syntax, I ended up with different  I ended up with different salts results.

Possibly my issue is in the timing. I add the folder then edit the ignore list in the .sync folder.  So by the time I edit the list it's already been indexing. 

The  btsync  Service was holding at 15% processing power on my computer for hours.  The processor is a 8 core AMD.

Edited by aaronk

aaronk,

No, sync shall un-index the ignored files. But if they already got synced to remote peer - this cannot be undone. I wonder what *exactly* different results you got, what *exactly* you ignored and how exactly. 

Can you please submit logs, here's instruction, from this machine , where you see CPU problem, and provide the details about ignoring? Don't forget to mention this forum post.

step 1 create data to sync 
example: folder (test1) with (data1) text file and subbfolder (sub1) inside
step 2 add folder to btsync
step 3 add items to ignorelist
step 4 restart computer
step 5 use read and write key to add folder to 2nd device

ignorelist

test1
test2\*
\test3

results

all 3 folders where on the second device

all 3 subfolders where on the second device

none of the data files where synced over to the second device in any folder

a section that appears thousands of time in many log files

[2016-03-13 18:23:40] [SyncFolderNotify] Event: FA_MODIFIED, File: AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync\sync.log
[2016-03-13 18:23:40] [OnNotifyFileChange] "\\?\C:\Users\aaron\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync\sync.log"
[2016-03-13 18:23:40] [SyncFolderNotify] Event: FA_MODIFIED, File: AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync\sync.log
[2016-03-13 18:23:40] [OnNotifyFileChange] "\\?\C:\Users\aaron\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync\sync.log"

Hi,

I do a similar thing, however in my case I have 2 HDDs in most of my machines. My second drive (data) is Waaaay bigger, so what I do is create a folder on it named "Sync" which is what I synchronize. I then go to my profile and move the various folders locations (Pictures, Documents etc) to Sub-Folders of my Sync folder.

This way, not only is all of my data stored on the second (larger) drive, but I get an easy way to control what is synced.

HTH

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:36 PM, aaronk said:

a section that appears thousands of time in many log files

IMHO, this is not a bug, but to be expected. If you are syncing your User folder, then that includes the Sync Log. It sync's, updates the log, sees the log has changed, so syncs it and updates the log and.... rinse and repeat!

Just my 10 cents...

@Wierdbeard65

But this can be avoided by ignoring Appdata correctly and disabling logs. To correctly ignore appdata, one shall create .sync directory in C:\Users\username, and put IgnoreList with AppData already added there. And after that add homefolder to Sync. But even so, syncing home folder may produce some other issues, cause it's not only Appdata that shall be taken care of.