"Overwrite any changed files" unavailable

The Dave

I'm running into a case where "Overwrite any changed files" is unavailable. It works fine for Normal folders when a Read Only peer joins, but in an Encrypted folder when a Read-only peer joins, this option is unavailable. The mouseover text reads "This option does not apply because of your folder permissions" (but when I View key, I only see Read Only and Encrypted, so I definitely do not have Read Write permission)

Any idea why? It seems like the option should be available whether or not encryption is used.

@The Dave

For RO Encrypted folder it's enabled by default and is indeed not available for change, by design. Having it disabled is not something you would like to face if a file changes on RO Encrypted folder, taking into account the core idea behind encrypted folders - having  a safe backup of files. 

3 minutes ago, Helen said:

@The Dave

For RO Encrypted folder it's enabled by default and is indeed not available for change, by design. Having it disabled is not something you would like to face if a file changes on RO Encrypted folder, taking into account the core idea behind encrypted folders - having  a safe backup of files. 

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I'm using an RO key, not an encrypted key, so I have read-only access to the files. This works as expected on my peers that use the encrypted version of the key (and I agree, it should be mandatory there)

However, it only happens on a folder that has encryption enabled, if I create a standard read-only folder, I can enable the "Overwrite any changed files" switch if I want.

See if this helps explain? 

B - A normal folder, I have RO access only. I can toggle "Overwrite" if I want. This is good.

E - An encrypted folder, I have RO access only. I can't toggle "Overwrite". Why not? 

F - An encrypted folder, I have Encrypted access only. "Overwrite" is locked on as you described, this is expected and good.

B.png

E.png

F.png

• 4 months later...

Any news on this issue?

I have three machines sharing an Encrypted folder: one RW, one RO and one Encrypted. The RO machine has 'Overwrite any changed files' greyed out and unchecked. I have the same error message when I hover the mouse cursor over the checkbox (This option does not apply because of your folder permissions). All clients are 2.3.8.

Thank you.