DSM 6.0 upgrade says Sync not compatible

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@kornac Try do the following: when you SSH to Syno, navigate to "/var/packages/bittorrentsync/scripts" and run "sudo ./start-stop-status start" and let me know the output of you see (ensure that no other versions of Sync are running prior you do it, of course). This is pretty much the same Syno does when you click the "Run" on DSM.

• 2 weeks later...

Same Issue with DM 6.0 RC and BTSYNC 2.3.3

sudo ./start-stop-status start

Password: 

Starting BitTorrent Sync ...

su: warning: cannot change directory to /var/services/homes/admin: No such file or directory

-sh: line 1: 10638 Segmentation fault      PATH=/usr/local/bittorrentsync/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/syno/sbin:/usr/syno/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/var/packages/Java7/target/j2sdk-image/bin:/var/packages/Java7/target/j2sdk-image/jre/bin /usr/local/bittorrentsync/bin/btsync --config /usr/local/bittorrentsync/var/sync.conf

On 4.03.2016 at 0:20 PM, RomanZ said:

@kornac It looks to be an issue in DSM itself. Your admin has no default shell in /etc/passwd. I suggest to edit your /etc/passwd and change the /sbin/nologin to /bin/sh for admin. You'll need root access of course. Let me know if it helps.

@RomanZ

It helped, but after a reboot synology need to repeat it again change in /etc/passwd.

@kornac I'm not sure why it happens to your NAS and what would be the policy of Synology towards shells in DSM 6.0. We'll better wait till they provide some stable RC here.

@Peter1968 @JanNLD (and any other who experience segfault): what is your NAS model? Try logging in to SSH and replacing your Sync binary with this one. Let me know if it helps.

@Guik Rather strange. We have it ON on our DSM 6.0. Will update to latest version and see if it is still the same.

6 hours ago, RomanZ said:

@Peter1968 @JanNLD (and any other who experience segfault): what is your NAS model? Try logging in to SSH and replacing your Sync binary with this one. Let me know if it helps.

This worked for me on my DS214 with a freshly installed 6.0RC. To make it work with a disabled admin user, I changed the start-stop-status script to run under my default user which also belongs to the administrators group.

@had-to-reregister @all Actually, there is an issue between DSM 6 and DSM 5. For certain platforms DSM6 require ARMHF build, while DSM5 requires ARMEL build for exactly same platform. We want to avoid making 2 flavors of package for every platform. Therefore all existing packages are being built with target of DSM5 (as DSM6 is still in beta).

If your package does not work well and Sync does not start on DSM6.0 - you'll have to manually replace Sync binary to ARMHF. Binary always stays in "/usr/local/bittorrentsync/bin/btsync" for all Syno devices.

Found the solution. Synology wants you to use a defined user for your apps.

The following needs to be changed for the next release of btsync for NAS.

--- postinst	2016-03-18 20:43:19.572117411 +0100
+++ /tmp/postinst	2016-03-18 20:43:10.640752347 +0100
@@ -1,3 +1,13 @@
 #!/bin/sh
 . `dirname $0`/installer
 `basename $0` > $SYNOPKG_TEMP_LOGFILE
+
+synouser --get btsync
+if [ $? -ne 0 ]
+then
+    # create user with random password
+	synouser --add btsync `uuidgen | cut -c-8` 'Bittorrent Sync User' 0 '' ''
+else
+    synouser --modify plex 'Bittorrent Sync User' 0 ''
+fi
+
--- start-stop-status	2016-03-18 20:45:26.515055527 +0100
+++ /tmp/start-stop-status	2016-03-18 20:45:09.832249852 +0100
@@ -14,8 +14,8 @@

start_daemon ()
 {
-    chown -R admin:administrators $INSTALL_DIR/var
-    su - admin -c "umask 000; PATH=${PATH} ${BTSYNC} --config ${CFG_FILE}"
+    chown -R btsync:administrators $INSTALL_DIR/var
+    su - btsync -c "umask 000; PATH=${PATH} ${BTSYNC} --config ${CFG_FILE}"
 }

stop_daemon ()

Oh and need to make sure if it is an upgrade that the BtSync folder needs to change owner as well.

Edited by robingruyters

I am running BT Sync on DSM 5.x and trying to do the upgrade on the Synology box to the official DSM 6.0 release.  When I start the upgrade it stops a minute in and states that BT Sync is not compatible with 6.0, and that it must be disabled in order to complete the upgrade.

Is BT Sync compatible with DSM 6.0?

If so, should I just stop the service before the upgrade and then manually start after it finishes?  Or should I do something else?

I am running BT Sync 2.3.5.

Thanks!

@all

Unfortunately, submitting packages to official stores as well as adopting to new OS depends not only on Bittorrent, but also on Synology. Both are is rather slow procedures as it includes some internal Synology tests.

You can download latest version of Sync for Synology here for manual install, although Sync MAY not start under DSM6 (it depends on your NAS model), as Syno has changed the policy towards ARM / ARMHF builds requirements in DSM6.