Latest Desktop build 2.3.6

RomanZ

Dear community,

Sync 2.3.6 is now available. You can get it via direct links below, via official download page or via "Check now" button. Build is not yet available via auto-update.

Direct Download Links:

A list of what's new, improved, changed, and fixed in this version is available in the change log.

Latest Android build is now also available via direct link: 2.3.5 APK
Latest Raspberry Pi package is available via direct link: 2.3.6 DEB

Known issues and peculiarities:
- Linux users please note: starting from 2.3.0, Sync now creates and uses storage folder (.sync folder) in current directory, not next to binary

- Upgrading from 2.3.0-2.3.3 may remove your identity and folders. It is strongly advised that you backup your storage folder prior to upgrade to 2.3.6.

I'll test it in a few servers today. We are currently on 2.3.5 on all production machines, which by the way still has some memory issues, but less than 2.3.3.

The other day an instance of Sync was using 32GB then it crashed and the service restarted itself. It only happened once.

5 minutes ago, RomanZ said:

@kamborio For the moment (=2.3.6) we've addressed all known leaks. Will be happy to get your logs :). As this is leak, only one peer (which is leaking) would be enough.

Hello @RomanZ

You surely remember how much I hate showing you my logs ;)

2.3.5 is much better than 2.3.3 in terms of memory usage so happy at the moment. The issue only happened once. Let me try 2.3.6 and if it reoccurs I'll be in touch.

I also had a problem with a mobile sync (android, sync not happening at all) because a file had a date set in the future (2095? or something like that). Once I change the date on the file everything worked fine. I was using 2.3.5 on the desktop and the latest available on the Play Store on the mobile.

@kamborio Oh yes, I do remember :D.

For the future time - well, its a tricky thing. It is pretty much the same for all platforms. Sync doesn't work well with future mtime, and there is no simple solution for that issue. Ideally, we'd like to show error message in future so user will be aware of the issue and fix it in his preferred way.

1 hour ago, RomanZ said:

For the future time - well, its a tricky thing. It is pretty much the same for all platforms. Sync doesn't work well with future mtime, and there is no simple solution for that issue. Ideally, we'd like to show error message in future so user will be aware of the issue and fix it in his preferred way.

I can imagine it can be a propper headache to deal with future dates. An error message would be helpful, I think I added the folder with version 2.3.3, it synced quite well among Windows clients but it failed on android. I only realized how to fix it when I upgraded to version 2.3.5 and a message came up on the screen.

UPDATE: I just realized that I am still using version 2.3.3 on my desktop, so the message appeared using that version. I think the message only appears when you open Sync, not when you add the folder.

Edited by kamborio
Adding more information

Installed on 2 computers. Installation didn't go very well:

1st computer: Service stopped, install completed without errors. Service did not start automatically. After starting service manually all was working.

2nd computer: Service did not stop. Services console said "stopping" but it never stopped. Killed manually. Restarted installation. and this time it worked and service started automatically.

5 hours ago, RomanZ said:

@kamborio Thanks for reporting - we'll try to reproduce and fix. What about your memleak?

Memory usage is really good in this release.

Main server (Read/Write), for 1.56M files in 7.11K folders - 1.6GB RAM

Backup server (Read only), for 1.82M in 9.78K folders - 1.9GB RAM

Note: The backup server has more files and folders because I am counting the .sync/Archive which I think makes a difference. Doesn't BitTorrent Sync trakcs the contents of the Archive to quickly restore a file and not transfer it again if it is restored on the other machine?

So I think it is using much less memory than previous 2.3.x versions and doesn't seem to be leaking.

CPU usage is still higher than 2.2.x but not exceptionally higher.

On 3/28/2016 at 8:06 AM, RomanZ said:

Upgrading from 2.3.0-2.3.3 may remove your identity and folders. It is strongly advised that you backup your storage folder prior to upgrade to 2.3.6.

Any details on when this is likely to happen or why? Will the situation be handled better by the next build, or is this a potential issue no matter what? 

To clarify, I'm not annoyed/update/whatever, I just have a few non-technical users now, I believe all are running 2.3.3, they will definitely not backup their storage folder properly. If 2.3.7+ will dodge the issue, I'll wait it out, but if it's a bug that can't be resolved without taking the one-time risk of the storage folder getting lost, I'd rather "rip off the bandaid" and upgrade everyone by hand this weekend to take advantage of the memory leak fixes.

@kamborio

Doesn't BitTorrent Sync trakcs the contents of the Archive to quickly restore a file and not transfer it again if it is restored on the other machine?

Yes. Sometimes, OS splits the event of file movements into "file deleted here" + "file appears here" couple of events. If they arrive separately, Sync could already move file to archive. Starting from 2.x (don't remember precise build) Sync also keeps track of Archived files MD5s and drags file out of archive if MD5 matches.

@The Dave

Versions 2.3.0..2.3.3 have an issue with saving data. It was possible to start saving data before it was completely loaded. 2 most common use cases:
- User closes Sync too early (and Sync has lots of folders to load)
- Auto-update dialog closes Sync too early

As you can see, it is more tied to version you update from, rather than with version you upgrade to. So, if you have 2.3.3 not matter which version you upgrade to, it still may happen and its better to backup your storage folder prior upgrading. Once you are upgraded to (say) 2.3.5, this client should not longer be affected on later upgrades.

41 minutes ago, RomanZ said:

@The Dave

Versions 2.3.0..2.3.3 have an issue with saving data. It was possible to start saving data before it was completely loaded. 2 most common use cases:
- User closes Sync too early (and Sync has lots of folders to load)
- Auto-update dialog closes Sync too early

As you can see, it is more tied to version you update from, rather than with version you upgrade to. So, if you have 2.3.3 not matter which version you upgrade to, it still may happen and its better to backup your storage folder prior upgrading. Once you are upgraded to (say) 2.3.5, this client should not longer be affected on later upgrades.

Awesome, thank you! I appreciate it and I'll keep this in mind and do the upgrades carefully!

On 01/04/2016 at 3:16 PM, RomanZ said:

@kamborio

Yes. Sometimes, OS splits the event of file movements into "file deleted here" + "file appears here" couple of events. If they arrive separately, Sync could already move file to archive. Starting from 2.x (don't remember precise build) Sync also keeps track of Archived files MD5s and drags file out of archive if MD5 matches.

@RomanZ

That explains the higher memory usage on the other server.

It's been 72 hours since I reported the memory usage and I am glad to let you know that still at the same values (kB up or down). It seems the memory leak is gone.

I'd like to report another issue, I have seen it before and I think the problem did not exist in 2.2.x

If you pause a VM and you start it again (for example when you restart the server that hosts the VMs), Sync will not connect again.

I am using W2012 R2 Hyper-V.

What I do when that happens is I restart the the service and everything works again.

7 minutes ago, RomanZ said:

@kamborio Your issue looks very similar to one we are hunting down now :). Unfortunately, no success in reproduction in lab. I wonder if you are okay to supply me with logs? Only affected computer would be enough.

In this particular instance I could. Although I cannot see much and the ones I have are for version 2.3.5

This is an edited log of the most important events I can see:

[2016-04-02 22:30:24] MC[0D34] [9E60]: sending get_nodes message
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] Change network from WIRED_NETWORK to NO_NETWORK
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] SF[F90E]: Stop folder synchronization
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] SF[F90E] [7B11]: peer lost
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] SF[3AF3]: Stop folder synchronization
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] SSPI[0x0000003be805f8d0]: Dispose SSPI connection

[2016-04-02 22:36:46] SF[F90E]: Not loading torrents - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] ScheduledTask: "ConnectMorePeers" invoked: timer, reason:ConnectMorePeers - sync is paused or fc error
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] SF[F90E]: UpdatePeersStat
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] ScheduledTask: "UpdatePeersStat" invoked: timer, reason:FinishStateSync
[2016-04-02 22:36:46] SF[0D34]: UpdatePeersStat

Down the logs it looks as if it connected to some peers but not all of them.

If you want to the full logs please get me on Skype.

After I installed the 2.3.6 version I am getting an error, "You can’t open the application “BitTorrent Sync” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." when I try to start the application. 

It's a standard mac running the latest el capitan release. Any clue?

@nachi Weird issue. PowerPC is not supported since 10.6, we don't even compile'em. I can only suspect that your hardware is based on x86 architecture, and starting from 2.3 we do not include x86 binaries in OS X packages. Couple of questions to find out what happens on your mac:

1. What was your previous Sync version?
  2. What is your mac model?
  3. Send me your Console output after you attempt to run Sync
  4. Calc and send me your downloaded DMG MD5

This is weird... I tried downloading and installing version 2.3.2 until 2.3.5 and got the same power pc error last night.

I deleted the application and left it there; Today, I downloaded it again 2.3.6 from the website, and now it works. No error

Edited by vladwil
problem fixed after downloading Today the program

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since upgrading to 2.3.6 on FreeBSD 64-bit, after 1-2 days the syncs stop and I cannot login from the webui (keeps prompting for login over and over again with no errors). I have to kill the process, restart, and then back in business. Nothing in the log, even with debug enabled, to indicate there's a problem.

Seen this yet? I've submitted a bug over the past weekend.

That is browser's auth prompt when new session starts. And if your browser keeps the correct login password, these won't be asked. 

I'm not sure I understand the case when it happens - do you mean that Sync crashes, and when you launch it back you cannot login until you restart Sync? If yes, then it's not reproducible in the lab, the correct credentials are accepted right away, incorrect - not, so it works as expected. 

Sorry, but there are no tickets from you (current mail) and the latest was in January (another e-mail). What is the ticket#?