Moving files

yds

I currently have btsync installed on a WinXP machine, doing one-way syncs of my family photos folder to a remote linux machine (a raspberry pi with attached USB HDD).  This is my form of backups.  I am retiring the WinXP machine, and have copied the family photo folder over to a new disk on a new Win10 machine.  I will install btsync on the new Win10 machine.

My question is, can I just set up the new Win10 machine to do a one-way sync of my new copied photo folder with the existing folder on the remote linux machine that currently has the synced folder?  Or do I need to start fresh with a new folder on the linux machine?

Hopefully I've been clear enough with my situation and what I am wanting to do.

Edited by yds

yds, yes, you can do what you want. Here are small steps how to do that:

1. Install Sync on Win10.

2. Share your photos folder via key or link from WinXP with read-write permissions.

3. Then add that key/link on the Win10 and choose where your photos are located. Because destination is not empty Sync will suggest another folder name or path. Check this article to see how to avoid that.

4. Sync will check that all files are up to date and transfer only different or missing files to Win10. You only need to wait. Then everything should work with Win10 as if you used WinXP.

However it's better to check that your keys are not obsolete (ideally starting with A or B) or Sync will replace them by read-only keys. Here is another article about correct keys.

Thanks for the detailed response, however that's not quite what I want to do.  I want to be able to start syncing the new folder on Win10 machine (which was created by copying the files over from the WinXP machine) with the folder on the linux device that I already had synced to the WinXP machine.

BTW - the linux machine (Raspberry Pi) is running version 1.2.67 of bittorent sync.  Don't know if that piece of info is relevant or not. 

Edited by yds

yds, steps in previous message can help you to do that. If you want to do another way you need to add standard folder in the Sync on Win10 then share it via read-only key. If folder already exists on the RPi you need to remove it first then add again via new key.

There is also newer 2.3.6 version for RPi. You can install it via our repository. It can work with 1.2 version but it is outdated and may contain various bugs, which were fixed in newer versions.

Thanks again Remirus.  I will give it a try.  Incidentally, I had to install the latest version of btsync on the RPi just to get it to work at all with my Win10 machine (I was testing with other test folders, which wasn't working until I upgraded the version).