Support for DS216j

I just purchased a DS216j, amazing product but there is no sync package for the armada385 used in it yet.

Apparently sometimes it's enough to open the .spk file in 7zip and edit the INFO file to contain "armada385" under arch. Unfortunately that didn't work for me.

Are there plans or even an ETA for sync on the ds216j ?

You do support the WD MyCloud Mirror Gen 2 that's armada385, too.

@Bavarian-NAS sure, I'll be glad to post my experiences here. But if I may give some advice, I wouldn't buy a ds115. The price difference to the ds216j is rather small. The ds216j will bring you the faster chip and two hardware bays. This would be very important to me. Even if you don't want to mirror your data in a raid configuration, a dual bay setup will still give you a big advantage: greatly increased storage capacity. Now you may think that you only need one HDD, but soon it will be full. Then you have to upgrade. In a two-bay setup, you can keep your old drive and just add another one. In the ds115 you would have to switch drives.

Just some feedback. Maybe for your use-case the ds115 is better.

@Roman Z I could install the package. It is listed under installed packages, but I couldn't execute it. When looking at the btsync page in the package center, there is an "actions" button with the option "start". This triggers a spinning loading icon and produces the error message "der paketdienst konnte nicht ausgeführt werden". I'm german, this translates to "the package service couldn't be executed".

I'm running a ds216j with one HDD, a WD Blue 4TB. The operating system is  DSM 6.0-7321. Your package has the version: 2.3.6-1.

Yes, my admin user is activated. I tried to start the package logged in as this user, same errror message.

@Roman Z I have now tested the package for a few days. It works fine for me. Syncing over LAN and remotely is no problem. The ds216j is discovered as a peer very fast, across all platforms.

There is however the recurring problem of Sync keeping the NAS awake. I've modified the settings: folder_rescan, config_refresh and config_save are all set to very high values. With btsync stopped via the synology package manager, the NAS goes to sleep (no fan/no disk spinning), with btsync started but syncing paused the NAS doesn't go to sleep, with btsync started and syncing enabled (but no syncing in progress) the NAS doesn't go to sleep.

Is that a general issue or related to this specific package ?

@mintwurmNew builds are announced first in the "latest build..." threads (which are pinned to the top of the General Discussion forum), and also in the changelog.

We also try, why possible, to update existing recent forum threads relating to specific issues which are addressed in each new build, so if you "follow" such topics, you can be notified when new replies are added.

• 2 weeks later...

@RomanZ: Sorry for the late feedback – I installed the package on my ds216j with DSM 6 some weeks ago. I had some trouble I'd like to share with you:

Even though I installed the right package I didn't manage to activate it. Only after SSH-ing into the machine and checking everything out I could identify my problems:

Everything created by the installer (and this includes for instance the config files, etc.) was owned by admin:adminstrators and had it's permissions set to 600. However, I used another admin user that is not identical to the default administrator "admin" so I was not able to access some required files.

Maybe it would be a good idea to set permissions on newly-created files an directories to 660...

I changed the permissions manually however I was not sure whether this might cause issues later on. So I activated the user "admin" and started over installing the package. Everything was just fine this time...

BTW: no issues so far after ~ 3 weeks of constant usage.

So thanks for rolling out the sync package really fast and please just take this comment as a suggestion to improve it... :)

Edited by Pseudonymous

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.4.2016 at 11:06 AM, GreatMarko said:

@mintwurmNew builds are announced first in the "latest build..." threads (which are pinned to the top of the General Discussion forum), and also in the changelog.

We also try, why possible, to update existing recent forum threads relating to specific issues which are addressed in each new build, so if you "follow" such topics, you can be notified when new replies are added.

Marko,

I take it that version 2.3.7 does not allow Synology NASs to sleep either?

Is there anyone around who managed to get a Synology NAS to sleep? What are your settings?

Thanks indeed

ralfito

19 hours ago, ralfito said:

Marko,

I take it that version 2.3.7 does not allow Synology NASs to sleep either?

There's no specific mention of this in the changelog, and as I don't personally have access to a Synology NAS I can't confirm this issue.

Do however have a look at the Help Center article on "Sync prevents HDD from sleeping on NAS"

• 1 year later...

I've just purchased a DS216j and downloaded the 2.3.6 package from the link above. I manage to install it as admin. And everythings seemed to work fine at the beginning. Now I have problems that BTSync doesn't automatically runs as it supposed to do.

I noticed that the link above ponts to package 2.3.6 and the changelog shows newer a lot of newer packages.

Does the latest package work with DS216j?