[Solved] Strange folders being created by Sync?

FlashPan

Hi,

Am setting up a win 7 pc to win 7 pc backup/sync (1 way).  At the moment both machines are on my local lan but the destination pc will be offiste so will connect over the internet.

Using v. 2.3.6(378)

I've noticed that on the destination PC, the drive I am backing up to some strange folders are being created which are empty

notify122817677       (dated 05/04/2017)

notify-1195050472     (dated 07/04?2016)

Why are these being created and/or not being removed if not longer needed?

I have set the sync app on the source and destination pc to "Search the Lan" and use a no-ip dns address in "Predefined hosts".  Using a predefined host is the last major config change I made.  Would this have anything to do with it considering both machines are still on the same lan?

Once the destination machine is offsite it'll be hard for me to admin it as it'll only power on in the early hours of the morning.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for responding Helen.

I am sync-ing/backing up my media collection.  So on the root of 1 drive E: I have a single folder, with subfolders/files in that:

E:\Streamfiles

E:\Streamfile\Movies

E:\Steamfiles\Photos

The destination PC will be a mirror of the source So I have only set E:\Streamfiles to sync across.

But now I see these strange folders in the root of the destination pc drive:

E:\Streamfiles

E:\Streamfile\Movies

E:\Steamfiles\Photos

E:\notify122817677

E:\notify-1195050472

Nothing else is touching/scanning/adding content to the destination folder right now so I can only presume that BitSync is creating these?

Cheers

@FlashPan Are you syncing in Read-Write mode, or Read-Only?

It maybe that your "notify" folders are being temporarily created on your first device by some 3rd party application, upon creation, these transfer to your second device. The 3rd party application on your first device then removes these temporary folders, however, depending upon your sync settings, these may not be being automatically removed from your second device.

Bottom line, it's virtually certain that Sync itself won't be creating these "notify" folders, but rather some other application on your system is

Hi,

Digging through this more I've discovered that CrashPlan is the cause of this.  Apparantly it's a known, random and rare issue.

Strange for me as CP is not touching that area.

Thanks you GretMarko fro investigating an dapologies for sending you on a wild goose chase.

• GreatMarko changed the title to [Solved] Strange folders being created by Sync?