BTS placeholder files forever in queue,did BTS erase them ?

TheGC

I have been using BTS sync and I used the sync pro trial. After the trial ended, I discovered a lot of my photo files are now placeholder files. When I double click on them, it says that they are in queue, but this behavior has been going on for months, and through several updates of the program.

It seems like either BTS has erased my files or they are being held hostage until I pay for the business version. If it is a one way conversion to try the paid version, I wish you had said that up front and I would have been happy to continue to use the free version.

I am trying to think happy thoughts but I think either the files are erased or the sync pro trial was a one way trip.

@TheGC It's not Sync's business model to behave in such way, so upgrading to Pro isn't going to change anything. 2 main issues to address in your case:

1. How come?
- which version of Sync do you have? Older versions could delete all your files and replace them with placeholders once you pull the switch to Selective Sync.
- did you choose something like "Remove from this device" in explorer / finder?
- Any apps that could potentially delete files (after deletion they are replaced with placeholders)?
- Any other event you suspect which could trigger replacement of files with placeholders?

2. How to restore files?
- Is there any other peers you can take files from?
- Usually, when something delete files they are moved to archive on other peer. Check <my_sync_folder>\.sync\Archive hidden subfolder for possible files.

• 1 month later...
On ‎2016‎年‎4‎月‎11‎日 at 0:39 AM, RomanZ said:

@TheGC It's not Sync's business model to behave in such way, so upgrading to Pro isn't going to change anything. 2 main issues to address in your case:

1. How come?
- which version of Sync do you have? Older versions could delete all your files and replace them with placeholders once you pull the switch to Selective Sync.
- did you choose something like "Remove from this device" in explorer / finder?
- Any apps that could potentially delete files (after deletion they are replaced with placeholders)?
- Any other event you suspect which could trigger replacement of files with placeholders?

2. How to restore files?
- Is there any other peers you can take files from?
- Usually, when something delete files they are moved to archive on other peer. Check <my_sync_folder>\.sync\Archive hidden subfolder for possible files.

I have been trying to work around this for a while now. I no longer add any files to  BTSync just because I am afraid of losing my files again. I still hope that some upgrade will bring my files back, but so far my files are still gone. To answer your questions:

1. How come?

Because I switched from the free version to the paid version and tried to switch back to the free version and my files are "in Queue" but they never return

- I was running the latest

- I kept my files for syncing sep from my normal files so I do not think another app did it

2 How to restore files

- Some of the files are on other peers and they will not sync, some files are just 'gone' When I can find them I copy them off to a seperate area

- There is nothing in the sync folder

@TheGC Was the Sync running all the time since April 10? If yes - it is very likely that now files are removed form .sync/Archive folder. By default, Sync only keeps backup files for 30 days. Also note, that you need to check .sync/Archive on all peers. Files will be present only on peer where they were deleted by Sync, and only for 30 days.

For example, if something (user or app) removed files on peer A, you won't find them on peer A's .sync/Archive. Only in other peers archives.