How to upgrade from 1.4 (Linux)

andrewb

I have been running sync 1.x on a Centos 5.11 server for a long time (currently 1.4.111 beta), although my Windows PC and Synology NAS run 2.3.x.

I have decided to make the leap to sync 2.x on the Linux box to hopefully address a few syncing issues ('Out of Sync'). Help.

Q1: What steps to I need to take to upgrade to linux v2.2.6? Are there any special precautions?

Q2: will it preserve my current legacy sync folders? I am happy to stay with Standard folder. My setup has remote folders that use Read Only keys, I need to maintain this.

Q3: I understand that packages are now available for Linux [RPM based]. Will this find my sync install (/opt/btsync) and upgrade it? Or, can I only do a manual install?

@andrewb

Q1: Couple of things here.
- ideally, just start from fresh installation and add folders from scratch (you may use old locations with files, though. Just ensure that Sync won't add extra folder name when you re-add folder)
- if previous is not an option, at least backup your storage folder.

Q2: Yes, it's going to preserve legacy sync folders. In 2.x they are called "standard" folders.

Q3: New package won't be aware of your old installation, so you'd better remove it manually before installing official package.

• GreatMarko changed the title to How to upgrade from 1.4 (Linux)