Larryb

using too much bandwidth at workplace

I got BitTorrent Sync working well between my laptop, android, and NAS.  However, I found out that my workplace is about to ban my computer because it's been using too much bandwidth.  I did not have this issue when using Dropbox.  What can I do?

Larry

Larry,

omg, I can't believe someone has "sync speed is too high" problem. Usually people suffer from the opposite. I'll be pointing them to your post :D 

Use "Limit up/download rate" in Sync settings. Don't forget to enable "rate_limit_local_peers" in power user preferences and restart Sync.

Thank you Helen,

I was so happy to be free from Dropbox, and now this!  It's quite annoying.  Thanks for pointing me towards the "rate_limit_local_peers".  Now I just hope they don't ban me anyway!

Larry

OK, I found out more information.  It wasn't so much the bandwidth, it the the BitTorrent name that sounded the alarm!  I guess they assume that if I have a program that has the name BitTorrent, I'm downloading illegal movies and stuff.  Of course, that couldn't be farther from the truth.  I won't mess with that kind of stuff.  I have been told that if I connect my computer into the wired network again, my MAC will be blocked.  I'm allowed to use the open wireless, which does work.  Unfortunately, the work printers are behind firewalls and I can only see them in the wired network.

Oh well, sometimes that's just life.

Larry

The problem is that BT Sync uses Torrenting protocols  So any router with QOS will identtify the traffic as P2P.

Dropbox uses 443/80 port traffic which is common web portal traffic.

Update: This is a big reason I chose Resilio Sync.  

Ever since the name change, the infotechs haven't bothered me.  With the VPN all's working well.