Not working on WD MyCloud EX2

Could do with some basic help with this Software. I have 3 computers and a WD MyCloud EX2 at work and have set it up to back them all up to another WD My Cloud EX2 at home.

I've had it running over a month and does seem to have copied most of the files across, but the problem is the home WD My Cloud EX2 is running constantly and you can't log onto the Sync. Every time you log on just you get a blank screen. The other problem is that every few days Sync crashes and you have to reboot the drive to start it working again.

Please remember i'm a newbie with this sort of stuff, so if you tell me to SSH into the drive to get the logs or whatever, I don't know how to do that.

I'm willing to upgrade to the pro version if it works, but at the moment i'm struggling.

You also see they gray line at the top of UI, right? That problem will appear if the database files are too big so it takes time to load the UI. Check CPU and memory of your NAS while you see blank UI. This may also be the cause of crash - device running out of memory. Try to wait for some 10-20 minutes and see if UI will eventually show up.

Which version of Sync you use there? We had such problems with some older ones. 

And I suppose there are a lot of files in your sync shares? 

Unfortunately, without logs there is not much specific we can tell on your case. But in general:

-if you have Read-only shares in this NAS - enable "Overwrite any changed files" option  for each of them. 

- you can try remove the folders from Sync and add them back again, but it if you have a lot of files, indexing may take long. 

Thanks for the reply Helen. Yes it does appear if you 10 or 20 minutes, but if you change any settings or anything it doesn't save them.

it is the latest version of sync, I upgraded it the other day but still the same problems.

yes there are a lot of files in my shares and I have it set to read / write both ways.

i can get the logs but you need to tell me how?

what exactly version do you have? Pretty often "the latest" turns out to be not actually the latest. Is it 2.3.6? 

You need to enable ssh on WD in Setting -> Network. Then from a desktop, using Terminal if on Mac or PuTTY if on Windows, connect to WD . In terminal command will be ssh username@IP - where username is the username of your NAS's ssh session (most likely will be root) and IP - your WD's IP, in PuTTY - just put NAS's IP and enter password when prompted. 

Then you need to cd to the directory mentioned in the guide (cd mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BitTorrentSync/settings/) and you can copy all the logs to a directory available on WD webui (cp sync.log /shares/share_name) , and then take them from there and send to us. 

OK, when I try to copy it is saying "No Space Left On Device", but there is loads of space. 1.03tb. I'm wondering if it's because Bittorrent Sync is accessing the drive all the time, that this putty program can't get a look in. But the thing is how do you stop or turn off bt sync? If you can't get the bt sync menu to open you can't do anything?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

ok, No space left - may mean that there is NO /shares/share_name and /shares/public on your NAS. Make sure that you  indeed have 'share_name" and 'public' in Shares on your NAS. Most likely it's Public, not public.

13 hours ago, C hris said:

But the thing is how do you stop or turn off bt sync? If you can't get the bt sync menu to open you can't do anything?

Why not go to NAS -> App -> Sync  and stop it 

Screenshot+2016-04-27+09.18.34.png

OK Helen, i've got the log now, file is 16.5mb so won't upload through here. Whats the best way of me getting it to you?

By the way when I turn it off ithe app doesn't seem to do anything. The drive just carries on whirring away, just the same.