My devices, duplicated many times

aaljr

In "My devices", I see my three devices listed many times, the duplicates are shown as offline.

So for example, on Mac1 under My devices, I see Mac2 is shown with a green dot, but then Mac2 is shown another three times with a grey dot.   I see similar multiple entries for Mac1 and Mac3.

Does Mac2 appear multiple times  because its IP address has changed (via DHCP)?  Mac2 is on my same LAN.

This does not seem to be related to the peer_expiration_days setting (mine is set to the default of 7), because when I tried changing peer_expiration_days to 0, these ghost devices remained in the "My devices" list, while the number of "Peers online" changed to show only the currently available peers.

Will the My devices list keep growing with these duplicate ghost entries?

I'm running version 2.3.6 everywhere.

Thanks

@aaljr Peers are identified not by IP, but by unique PeerID instead. It is generated once you install Sync and when you change your hardware (it relies on your Volume ID). So it is likely appeared if you reinstalled Sync or used some cloning software which could mess up with volume id.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of them now, though in future they'll be removed to special section to avoid floating in front of you all the time.

Thanks for your response.  Could a new PeerID be generated when upgrading to the current release (say from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6) through the "Check Now" function in preferences?  What about when downloading and running the 2.3.6 installer to force an upgrade to the latest version; would that always cause a new PeerID to be generated?  Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the PeerID and upgrades.  In my case, on one of the "ghosted" Macs, I uninstalled Sync 2.3.6 and reinstalled because I could not get the Finder extension to work or even show up in the Extensions System Preference, until I did so.

On the other Macs that are duplicated in the My Devices list, I'm not sure what would cause the duplicates, because I don't recall uninstalling/reinstalling and I've not done any migration or cloning.  But on all of the systems, I'm sure that I've downloaded the latest release to force an upgrade.