A Few Requests for the iOS App

Maddux

So I'm a fairly new Sync user and I'm basically ready to ditch cloud storage (except for a few apps that require Dropbox for app syncing).  However there are a few ways that the iOS app is severely lacking, especially with regard to other syncing/storage solutions.

1. ADDING FILES: When I tap the "..." menu and then tap "Add files" I should be able to add files from the iOS document picker. It's a weird omission.
  2. FILE MANAGEMENT: It's painful not to be able to rename or move files around in the app. I've been resorting to opening up a VNC session to do it on my server at home, then letting the changes sync back. Not efficient.
  3. MULTITASKING: Support Slide Over and Split Screen multitasking.
  4. SAVING: One big plus for Sync over Dropbox and Google Drive is that they've implemented "Opening" files in other apps that support it. Basically that means if I go to Word and or Textastic and open a file in Sync via the iOS Document Picker, it's actually editing it in place. Then those changes get synced back. So awesome. But the Save function doesn't work correctly. If I create a new document in Word or Textastic, then try to save it to Sync using the Picker, Sync acts as though it's a valid place to save it but it doesn't actually show my folders, so I can't save it. (See attachment for example using Word)

With these changes it would basically be the storage solution I've always wanted. Anybody else have input or other requests?

image.jpeg

@Maddux

1. We are aware of the issue. It happened due to some optimizations in our app deployment and will be back in next version. Sorry for inconvenience.
2, 3. Thanks for suggestion - we'll consider improving in future builds. File management looks to be really important.
4. It's not a bug. Office is using rather unusual way to deliver files to Sync, which is not completely supported. Thanks for pointing to this one - we'll add supporting this feature to our plans.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Good to know this stuff is being considered. Sync is becoming critical to me, so I'm excited to see continued support.

I was thinking if I could remember another instance of the "Save" issue (other than an Office app) and iWork has a similar issue. It's a bit buried and few people probably run into this, but I'm trying to figure out my workflow for creating new documents and getting them to sync. This is what I did to see the issue in Numbers:

1. Create a new document
  2. Tap the share button in the top right
  3. Tap "Send a copy"
  4. Tap "Numbers" format
  5. This only shows apps that support opening .numbers files, so I tapped "Send to.." to open the iCloud Drive share sheet
  6. Tap "Locations" then "Sync"

This shows the same empty Sync window as saving in Office. Clearly you could work around this in a number of ways, and as I said few people have probably ever encountered this.

Thanks for the great service and for quick support. While right now I'm just using Sync for my own personal and work files, I'm hoping to move my whole office over to using Sync instead of all the disparate cloud storage systems we currently use.